IT'S A GIRL!!!

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
madaboutsnails

IT'S A GIRL!!!

Post by madaboutsnails »

got this fatso at a house clearance auction a few months ago. Although heavily corked it has just flowered, even though I didn't think it would, and its female :)
Attachments
SDC14659.JPG
SDC14659.JPG (37.05 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
SDC14665.JPG
SDC14665.JPG (55.34 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
SDC14660.JPG
SDC14660.JPG (52.74 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
_@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő
Onzuka

Re: IT'S A GIRL!!!

Post by Onzuka »

And its going to be a very frustrated female too, unless you can find a pollen bearing male! I have several. For some reason unbeknown to me, when you grow these from seeds, there is an abundance of males, or at least that is my experience.

Steve
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I get them regularly from a wholesale grower and I find that often the sex ratio is skewed one way or the other. However, I've had an overabundance of females as often as males. Kind of frustrating when I've got buyers looking for a matched pair and the plants won't cooperate!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
madaboutsnails

Post by madaboutsnails »

How very odd that there should be such a large imbalance in batches, either on way or the other. Does the pollen keep well? Coukd a polleny brush make it through the post and still be viable do you think?
_@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő _@ő
eduart

Post by eduart »

This could be due to the growing / seed sowing conditions.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I guess I should add that I get a roughly evenly mixed batch about as often as I get a skewed one. If you are producing them yourself then it is actually preferable to have the plants skew female as one male can pollinate a lot of females, meaning you could end up with a lot more seed than with an evenly split group.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

What is that?
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Hi it's a Euphorbia Obesa.

:)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Onzuka wrote:And its going to be a very frustrated female too, unless you can find a pollen bearing male! I have several. For some reason unbeknown to me, when you grow these from seeds, there is an abundance of males, or at least that is my experience.
If not mistaken Euphorbia can change their sex? At least with Euphorbia bupleurifolia, is my experience.
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

Onzuka wrote:For some reason unbeknown to me, when you grow these from seeds, there is an abundance of males, or at least that is my experience.
Aiko wrote:If not mistaken Euphorbia can change their sex? At least with Euphorbia bupleurifolia, is my experience.
Aiko, Is the change always the same? So always from male to female, or always from female to male?
If so, it is so-called Sequential hermaphroditism (and/or a form of sexual diphasy). That would explain the abundance of young male plants, as noted by Ozuka.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

As I said above, I've had as many batches be mostly female as mostly male, so it doesn't make sense to assume that male to female is the primary pattern. Also, Dichogamy is usually applied to plants that consistently have separate timing of male and female phases, but in the context of a single flower or in a repeatable blooming period.

I've seen some monecious E. obesa, though I couldn't say if it was a one off thing, permanent, or a transition phase.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

HairyHarry wrote:
Onzuka wrote:For some reason unbeknown to me, when you grow these from seeds, there is an abundance of males, or at least that is my experience.
Aiko wrote:If not mistaken Euphorbia can change their sex? At least with Euphorbia bupleurifolia, is my experience.
Aiko, Is the change always the same? So always from male to female, or always from female to male?
If so, it is so-called Sequential hermaphroditism (and/or a form of sexual diphasy). That would explain the abundance of young male plants, as noted by Ozuka.
I believe my plant went from male to female.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

CactusMad wrote:Hi it's a Euphorbia Obesa.

:)
Cool looking!
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

Saxicola wrote:As I said above, I've had as many batches be mostly female as mostly male, so it doesn't make sense to assume that male to female is the primary pattern. Also, Dichogamy is usually applied to plants that consistently have separate timing of male and female phases, but in the context of a single flower or in a repeatable blooming period.

I've seen some monecious E. obesa, though I couldn't say if it was a one off thing, permanent, or a transition phase.
I must have read over your previous post, about the different batches, too quickly. You are right: Sequential hermaphroditism was never an option.
But I never used the word Dichogamy :), which indeed is a different thing.

I am trying to figure out what the pattern is of the transformation in Euphorbia. Been googling/reading about sex-change in plants, but can't seem to fit euphorbia in any of the categories.
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

So, just to get me totally confused.....my Obesa is flowering, does it mean I have a female plant? #-o
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!