Growing aloe polyphylla from seed.

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
george76904

Growing aloe polyphylla from seed.

Post by george76904 »

i have wanted this plant for quite a while, but I can never seem to find a plant for sale at a reasonable price. However I found some seeds going at a reasonable rate today and wanted to know if anyone else has grown these and has any advice for growing them. Better yet I don't suppose they would part with a plant :D. lol
Thanks,
Will
promethean_spark

Re: Growing aloe polyphylla from seed.

Post by promethean_spark »

I got 10 packs of seed from mesagarden twice (2007 and 2008), and each time got one plant out of it. They're both about soccer ball size now. Here you can get one in a 1g pot for about $20 at a cactus show/sale. I put mine in large pots with 100% turface, so probably spent that much just for their media...

Aloe seed is relatively short lived and should be fresh and sown as soon as possible IMO. I started them using the 'baggy' method and as I recall it took about 3 weeks for them to emerge.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Thanks, I am thinking of trying them. I am probably going to purchase it this weekend.
Thanks,
Will
Astro

Post by Astro »

Very similar experience for me. I got 10-packs from MG twice as well, in 2012 and 2013. Germination temps were maybe 25C during the day and 15C at night. I got 2/10 the first year and nothing the year after (using the baggy method). Once they get started, they can grow pretty fast provided you don't let them dry out for too long and keep them out of the blazing sun. After one year both plants already filled a 5" pot each.