Are kalanchoe toxic like euphorbia?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
tomo

Are kalanchoe toxic like euphorbia?

Post by tomo »

I'm sort of a new plant collector--I've had a few cacti for years and have recently become interested in other "exotic" succulents like kalanchoe and euphorbia. I bought a kalanchoe fedtschenkoi f compacta and really like it. I had been thinking about adding a euphorbia or two, like euphorbia guiengola, but then I started reading how dangerous and toxic euphorbia can be. Yikes! There are some scary stories out there! :shock: As a newbie, I'm going to steer clear of euphorbia, but it made me wonder about kalanchoe. I looked up some info, and it looks like kalanchoe can be toxic to pets and animals, but are there any precautions to take when handling/repotting kalanchoe? Thanks!
JustSayNotoCactus

Re: Are kalanchoe toxic like euphorbia?

Post by JustSayNotoCactus »

Kalanchoe are toxic, but they don't taste good and nothing will even try to eat them, not bugs, not birds, not cats, nor dogs. I don't get poisoned because I am usually throwing them strait into a garbage can whenever I find them. They are a terrible invasive pest here.
Jade plants are for sissies.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

No precautions too take with kalachoes in my experience they don't have a sap like euphorbias do. And i wouldn't worry about adding a few euphorbias to your collection hun, unless u want to chop it up and eat it and rub the sap inn yr eye's you have nothing to worry about with them, As long as you wash your hands after you've touched a plant which has sap presently on it and mist the sap away from the plants wound and so it doesn't dry in white steaks down the plant. But usually they heal quick the sap kinda closes the wound when it dries.
Alot of plants are toxic, mothers in law tounge plants are very common as house plants and office plants and they are very very toxic if ingested by animals and humans so just read up and keep it in mind how to care for them properly without problems.
Always wash your hands after you touch the sap from euphorbias to your hands if unprotected!
Goodluck hunnie
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Ohh abs never touch yr eye's or face if you haven't washed yr hands after coming into contact with euphorbia sap. Goodluck hun
C And D

Post by C And D »

Toxic Sap!!
Sure it's toxic, but it poses few if not ZERO problems for the grower.

We have hundreds of Euphorbias and we have had zero incidents that could be called worrisome.
I get the sap on my hands all the time, even the E. abdelkuri sap, a yellowish foul smelling fluid that is supposedly the most toxic.
All you have to do is wash it off, and don't eat it, which would be hard to do since it is very unappetizing.

There are many nice Kalanchoe species, not all are invasive. I never knew that some were toxic.

I wouldn't worry about toxic plants, no one wants to eat them.

How many cactus are toxic?
some for sure.
Last edited by C And D on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies and info, good to know! :)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

C And D wrote:All you have to do is wash it off, and don't eat it, which would be had to do since it is very unappetizing.
And don't get it in your eye (and maybe on a wound?).
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yup that's what i said aiko
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Oh dear, totally read passed that one...

But I have never seen Euphorbia sap splashing around. So chances getting it in your eye that way are small to very small. Just don't rub your eyes after knifing an Euphorbia. And don't use dried out Euphorbia as wood on a fire. Inhaling the smoke can kill you, and in case you barbecue on it, I don't think it is wise to eat anything barbecued on Euphorbia wood.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

LOL! That reminds me of this other forum i was on on a different site, and i was telling someone about the sap and i was like "don't touch your eye's or face with the sap from the euphorbia on ur hands, wash your hands before eating anything. As long as you don't chew on it or squeeze it in yr eye's you should be fine" And one of the know-it-alls of the forum said "it doesn't say eating a euphorbia is toxic to humans anywhere" And i was like.. "err...that was a joke, thoe i wouldn't suggest eating one" And she started to do her. I'm better then YOU, rant and i just ignored her. But when u said that annoy burning the euphorbia or using wood that it's been burnt with and inhaling the smoke i just thought about what remarks she'd have said about that. Some people are just rude. I think it's better to be safe then sorry.. especially with euphorbias.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I put this euphorbia poison link up periodically, seems like a good time:

http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epoisons.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.