can a lithops drastically change its color?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
KittieKAT

can a lithops drastically change its color?

Post by KittieKAT »

So the children in the growing program were donated Lithops bromfieldii ssp. insularis and they all looked pretty much all the same exactly, maybe a small difference here and there but basically all the same. So upon the neighbor breaking into my Sun porch and destroying the sowed seeds and the sprouted seedlings and the bromfieldii lithops that were donated (smooshed under the guys boots...how mean!) I managed to save 2 of them that were changing there skins since they were a little behind And had leaves stacking up i left them in a pot together under the same lighting system they all where under before a 100watt cf plant light . They sheded there skins twice the first bromfieldii looked the same as before really no change in color, the second bromfieldii popped outta its skin lime green like L. Bromfieldii insularis v 'Sulphurea'! But before that it looked exactly the same as all the rest of the L. Bromfieldii insularis so i don't understand WHY that one looks different? I thought it was lack of light at first so i put it in more of the light, but its been a while and it shows no indicationof changing its color to the original bromfieldii insularis.....why could that be?
Why is this one green NOW when it wasn't before and why is it staying like that instead of changing when it's getting more light or less light? Anyone have an answer or a thought as to how come this one outta the lot that didn't survive turned this color and way instead unlike they others and the only other living bromfieldii from the bunch. It looks healthy and nice, i just never saw such a thing happen before, maybe a minor change but NOTHING like this before.

Lemme hear your thoughts, thanks
iann

Re: can a lithops drastically change its color?

Post by iann »

Lithops are green until the sun gets to them. Check out the below-ground portion of any strongly coloured species for an example. This is also visible when new leaves poke their heads through. They will tan up very quickly in the sun, less quickly in the shade, and slowly if at all under artificial lights.
hammeruby19.jpg
hammeruby19.jpg (91.43 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

They both are coming outta there skins the others were doing the same before they were smooshed and they all looked normal
They both get the same amount of light from the window and the artificial light, I've even given the green one more light and its still green and its leaves are already pretty much dried up like they other one...
Its been just green while the others were normal after shedding and the surviving other one normal aswell coming outta it's leaves
Just this one odd green one. I'll give it even more light and see what happens but currently after a few weeks it's still green..
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Have to keep reminding the child who owns this green lithop whom he named "Gregory" lol
That Gregory the lithop prob won't stay that color so he shouldn't get attached to him being green like that
But it does give the kids something to observe since most everything else was pretty much destroyed. Thoe unfortunate Gregory the lithop has other plans at the moment then to give the kids something to note in there books for change in his color...
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Sooooo the other surviving lithop changed its skin and its normal looking just like it's last skin before it withered into a paper shell, the other one that's green is still green no matter how much light I've given it, not even a little darker....NOTHIN. still lime green. Its just weird that the other one is in the same light the green ones even closer and it stays the same green and the other one looks like it's suppose to! What is up with that! Why is it still so so green with all the light its getting, its fully outta its old skin and its still green green green! Not that I'm complaining but id like to know WHY this one is green and it wasn't before.