Sick Crassula

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
IHaveNoIdea

Sick Crassula

Post by IHaveNoIdea »

Hey guys,

there is something wrong about my Crassula (ovata?). 3 days ago I watered it for the first time (tray method) and today I noticed that the top leaves started to die or something. What should I do?

The white powder on the leaves is perlite.
Výstřižek.PNG
Výstřižek.PNG (218.64 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
Closer look at the leaf.
P_20150104_173839.jpg
P_20150104_173839.jpg (78.4 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
KittieKAT

Re: Sick Crassula

Post by KittieKAT »

Its Sun burned just pull off the dead leaves and they will sprout New ones in no time. Try adjusting it to stronger light over a week or so do it can adapt to the lighting without scorching. Goodluck hun
IHaveNoIdea

Post by IHaveNoIdea »

Hey, thanks for the reply, but it is not possible for the plant to be sunburned. I keep the plant indoors and it gets rather less light. I cut off the dead leaves yesterday and another one is dead today. The leaves get silver-ish.
iann

Post by iann »

Spider mites?
--ian
IHaveNoIdea

Post by IHaveNoIdea »

I'm afraid that not.

Edit: There are no visible bugs or eggs or something. The leaf is just dead.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Im telling u it looks like sunburn to me, even if its not getting a lot of light the light in colder months is veryt very strong. My jades got burned and they were in a corner window that didn't get much light at all. Its either Sun burn or frost bite, or both. That looks exactly like what happened to mine I'll take pictures too post to show u mine tomorrow.
IHaveNoIdea

Post by IHaveNoIdea »

The plant was not nearby a window at all. I thought it might by an exact opposite, so I put it on my windowsill. But it is not helping and the plant is dying fast.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Maybe its got root rott, check the roots what's the temp in your house. Is the actual trunk of the plant dying or is it just the leaves?
kpj35

Post by kpj35 »

How long have you had the plant, and what type of soil is it in? In a low-light indoor situation, I'd be worried about rot. I second the notion that you should pull it out of the soil and inspect the roots.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

And id take a picture of the root ball when u uncover it from the soil and post it in this thread cause someone may see something you didn't when looking at it.
IHaveNoIdea

Post by IHaveNoIdea »

Well it might be rotting. I pulled out the plant and roots seem fine, but the thing is, that I recently repotted the plant. The issue started right after this repotting and first watering. I used soil mixed for cactuses and succulent. If it is rotting I think that the problem might be the pot I potted the plant in. It has just a really small drainage hole. I pulled out one plant, because of them looked almost dead to me. I'll post a picture soon. So if it is a rotting.. should I repot the plant and don't water it for a while?
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Did u mix the cacti and succulent mix with 50% perlite for drainage? And did u wait a week before watering after u did a repot? And did u make sure the soil want wet or damp when u used it to repot the plant?
If its rotting it really depends on how bad the rott is sometimes u can remove the rotten roots and repot
But u shouldn't water it for a while until the roots heal.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I really wish i didn't prune the burnt leaves off my jades but thisis kinda what it looked like, you'll have to wwait until i find adying burnt leave on three same type of jade yr asking about.
I circled it in red abscropped a close up, sorry bad lighting
Attachments
IMG_20150107_072310.jpg
IMG_20150107_072310.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
CAM02285-1.jpg
CAM02285-1.jpg (51.27 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
IHaveNoIdea

Post by IHaveNoIdea »

Thanks Kittie,
I did not mix the soil with perlite, because there was enough of it already. I think I had waited for about 4 days before watering the plant. I used the soil in the state how it was, no damping the soil at all.

The wounds seem similiar, but like I said, it just can't be this issue. The plant was in full shade. I think it is the rotting. One plant died completely, the others have several dead top leaves. I think I will keep it as it is and hope the plant will recover. I hope it will not get worse.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

It just seems weird to be rott, maybe yr soil cover isnt allowing enough air to get into the soil, I'm not sure. All i kno is that when mine got burned only the tops and newly forming leaves died off, maybe tree tips of some that were poking out from the top of the rest, but i simply removed them and they grew back, the ones treat the actual stocks got burned on had lost a free stocks and lots of leaves and they just broke off like hard little chips of something..plastic maybe(?) Can't really explain it.
But i guess if they were in shade it can't be burns but it could still be Frost bite,mine had that too, but the leaves are usually all droopy looking and the stocks are all squishy and saggy and the plant kinda has this smell, that i can't explain almost like strong plant matter of some sort(?) But that's my experience. I just cut all dead stocks down and pulled off leaves and they are trying to grow back the once very dense leaves they once had until someone had to rip down those heat providing/sun blocker barriers onmy Windows :(
I guess we'll wait until we see the pics of the roots i guess. Btw, the soil straight from the bag is sometimes a little damp when using it - even that is enough to cause the plant to lose leaves and rot, but they wouldn't get the same color and that look of lottle crystals on the hard grayish leaves that feel like plastic or