how to freeze pollen from Fenestraria baby toes flowers?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
KittieKAT

how to freeze pollen from Fenestraria baby toes flowers?

Post by KittieKAT »

I recently had two flowers open on my Fenestraria Baby toes plant, i didn't kno if they were self sterile so i collected the pollen cause i didn't have another Fenestraria to pollinate it to. So i wrote asking for help in the pollination section but it appears not many people use that section as much as this one. So i tickled the flowers to each other and collected the pollen on both flowers before hand in separate pieces of paper. The flowers are now dying off one actually broke off and withered away and the other one is all withered looking.

I would like to cross breed the pollen to maybe a different type of mesemb if possible?
I have Lithops that have buds awaiting to come up, and a titan that's about to bloom. .you think i can cross pollinate with these? Has anyone tried? And Gotton seeds?

How do i freeze the pollen correctly to use it on the flowers tha. Open later on? Anything i should kno about using the pollen after its frozen like what i should do before tickling?
Attachments
CAM02102.jpg
CAM02102.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Saxicola

Re: how to freeze pollen from Fenestraria baby toes flowers?

Post by Saxicola »

Since you are clearly a fan of the mesembs, you should put this website high on your list of bookmarks:

https://files.nyu.edu/ms689/public/AGM.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is Steve Hammer's writeup of all things Mesemb, both on culture and notes on each genus. Steve is probably the most knowledgeable person in the world in regards to Mesembs. While he doesn't have extensive notes on storing pollen he does say it can be frozen and gives some tips. Look through the page when you get a chance.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yes i kno all about Steve hammer hehehe! I've watched many videos of him and his plant's talking about his collections...etc..etc..
Thanks for the link I'll look thru it
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I'd like to try and get the hang of pollination so i can have some of the kids try to do it with their plant's and study the productivity and changes in the plant's after they are pollinated. Then they can eventually sow the seeds from their plant's.
JustSayNotoCactus

Post by JustSayNotoCactus »

Hi there,

Since Fenestraria and Lithops are so far apart genetically, I am predicting, if it works at all, that you will get the equivalent of self pollinated Lithops seed. Steve Hammer uses pollen from un-crossable plants all the time to induce self pollination in the mother plant. The theory is that the foreign pollen fools the stigma into accepting its own pollen. This is, I have heard, an old trick from the Rose, Orchid and, Iris hybridizers, passed on to the cactus and succulent community. Supposedly, Wheat flour, lime, cement, and coal dust, have been used with success in the past on different flowering plants.

If you search this forum for "astrophytum" you may find an interesting convo about freezing astro pollen. Not quite the same thing, but you might glean some do's and don'ts.
Jade plants are for sissies.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea i figured if they don't cross breed atleast i might have lithop seeds soo that would be good enough for me lol!
Just don't think I'm the best at impregnating flowers lol! I heard he collects pollin and puts it in a jar in the freezer that tightly sealed, anyone try this before? Did the pollen work when you used it?
iann

Post by iann »

Freezing is for longterm storage, but it brings risks of simply killing the pollen. Store pollen like seed in a cool dry place if you just want to keep it around for a few weeks, maybe a few months at most.

Fenestraria is often recommended for inducing selfing in Lithops, because crossing is highly unlikely. In any case, nobody would be mistaken or disappointed if that cross did come up :)
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Exactly my thought Ian, Thoe i already put the pollen in my freezer Sooo i prob screwed that one up whoops!
I read online to put it in a tightly sealed jar after being collected into a piece of paper or something, then put it in the jar paper ans all and then put in freezer till spring, but even if it didn't die, I'm sure the defrosting will surely do it! Anyone have any idea or info on how i go about using it after its been frozen?