Ariocarpus trigonus

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
savant

Ariocarpus trigonus

Post by savant »

I recently ordered a Pachypodium namaquanum from a seller on Ebay but unfortunately she got my plant mixed up with some one else and I ended up with an inferior plant, an Ariocarpus trigonus.
When it arrived I thought, at first, that it was my Pachypodium because it had a caudex. The trouble is since finding out I have an Ariocarpus I don't know whether you should put the caudex under the medium or below it. I have planted it above but all the pictures I have found showing the caudex to be completely buried.
Can anyone tell me how I should plant it?
Attachments
DSCF1711.JPG
DSCF1711.JPG (147.48 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
Latin is a dead language thank goodness.
adetheproducer

Re: Ariocarpus trigonus

Post by adetheproducer »

Use a mineral soil little or preferably no humus and bury it so the green is level with tbe surface of the soil so all the root is buried. Its a nice looking plant.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Indeed, bury the roots under the soil, until you reach the green tubercles.

I wouldn't want to call an Ariocarpus 'inferior'. May be not what you are after, but if there is a mix up, an Ariocarpus is always a nice plant to get instead. But of course if you are not happy, just contact the seller and arrange for sending back and / or swapping for what you really were after.
savant

Post by savant »

I was really looking forward to receiving my Pachypodium namaquanum. I have a few Caudiciforms and this would have been my pride and joy because this particular one isn't very easy to get hold of. The reason I said "inferior" was because I paid quite a bit more for the Pachypodium than I would have done for an Ariocarpus and now some bloke in Italy has got my plant and I've got his.
I can't contact the seller really because there was an almighty cock-up in the beginning where the mix up took place. The seller did give me a couple of Euphorbia suzanne-marnier as compensation which are Caudiciforms.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

savant wrote:I was really looking forward to receiving my Pachypodium namaquanum. I have a few Caudiciforms and this would have been my pride and joy because this particular one isn't very easy to get hold of.
I have seen it on offer at succulent fairs in the Netherlands and Belgium a few times. Not big size plants, but at least a few years old. But maybe harder to get from where you are. Maybe you had your eyes out on a large plant? I have heard of more troubles from people in the UK and US obtaining plants, while it is not hard or even easy to get them if you live on the main land of Europe. I don't know if you ever travel across the sea, but if you are anywhere near Belgium in the second weekend of September, you might give ELK in Blankenberge, Belgium, a visit. I am sure enough Pachypodium namaquanum are for sale there every year. Or ask one of the many UK visitors to bring one back for you. Just an idea for next season.
savant

Post by savant »

Thanks for that info. The trouble is I am getting a bit old in the tooth now and my passport has run out. I don't think I'll be getting another one so I'll try to get some one to bring me some plants back.
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

adetheproducer wrote:Use a mineral soil little or preferably no humus and bury it so the green is level with tbe surface of the soil so all the root is buried. Its a nice looking plant.
About both this and Aiko's advice. Is that necessary? Only preferable? Or only for esthetic reasons?

I would probably have done the same as Savant and show off as much of the caudex as possible. Which is what I do with most of my (fully matured) caudex plants. In other words; would you advice Savant to re-pot because the plant is in harm's way?
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

HairyHarry wrote:
adetheproducer wrote:Use a mineral soil little or preferably no humus and bury it so the green is level with tbe surface of the soil so all the root is buried. Its a nice looking plant.
About both this and Aiko's advice. Is that necessary? Only preferable? Or only for esthetic reasons?

I would probably have done the same as Savant and show off as much of the caudex as possible. Which is what I do with most of my (fully matured) caudex plants. In other words; would you advice Savant to re-pot because the plant is in harm's way?
Im a bit of a purest and like my plants to look as they do in the wild but it is entirely optional how deep you bury it. I have seen a lot of ariocarpus with the top portion of the root exposed usually kotschoubeyanus varieties. The point about the humus I stand by though none of my ariocarpus gave any humus in the soil mix and while they will enjoy rich soil in tbe short term they are not short term plants so longer survival is my aim.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Thord Hakansson

Post by Thord Hakansson »

It is certainly not a caudex,you can see the feeding rootletshigh up on the main root, so just bury the plant up to where the green starts as others already have said.
growing allkinds of smallgrowing cacti in the north of europe
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

A succulent root is a caudex just as well, right? Or at least that's what I'm told.
And, not speaking about this species per se, but I always understood that lifting a succulent-root will actually help in preventing rot. Of course I do understand the argument for staying close to it's natural way of growing.