lithops soil mix

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
BobbyZ

lithops soil mix

Post by BobbyZ »

I would like to get feedback on soil mix for mature lithops, I haven't tried to grow since 3 years ago. I am thinking of 2 parts pumice 2 parts sand 1 part perlite and 1 part coir with a sprinkle of bone meal. What gives Yall success? Bobby Z
JustSayNotoCactus

Re: lithops soil mix

Post by JustSayNotoCactus »

I think that:

1) Perlite is the same as pumice, except perlite has less trace elements in it.

2) Coir is one of the worst additives I have ever tried for succulents, great for vegetables though. When I tried it a few years ago, I noticed that everything I had used it on either stopped growing, or started dying, so I googled the problem. According to many sources, coir can and will "lock out" elements like Ca and Mg when it dries out, and these elements do not become mobile again after re-wetting. To grow vegetables successfully in coir, one must NEVER let the stuff dry out, because if you do, no matter how much Ca or Mg you add after the fact, nothing will bring the plants back. Conversely, for succulent plants that really should dry out between waterings to stay healthy, coir will just screw up the nutrient availability more and more with every drying cycle.

3) All you need is pumice, really. All of my older lithops are in pure pumice, and they love it. I have never cracked a Lithops in pure pumice from overwatering, much less rotted one, it is one of natures most perfect gifts. Last year I switched to a perlite and decomposed granite mix that seems to work equally well and is much cheaper. Earlier this year I planted yet another batch of seedlings in a pumice, perlite, calcined diatomaceous rock, used organic potting soil, decomposed granite, gypsum, natural topsoil, and earthworm castings mix made from used and free ingredients from the back yard, and they look just fine.

The only "fast and hard" rules I can think of for lithops soil might be: Don't use more than 20% organic ingredients, with zero coir and no uncomposted material. Do not use alkaline rock products like limestone.
Jade plants are for sissies.
C And D

Post by C And D »

Good advice JSNTC

I was going to say the same thing, no coir.

I use pumice, some pumice dust, some course sand and 10-20% potting mix
I don't use perlite because I don't like the way it floats to the surface.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I grow mine, including the ones on the way to you in pure pumice. The person I get the seedlings from grows them in a peat/ coir mix. That works for him because seedlings of almost any plant like a moist, rich soil like that, but they'd rot long term in that mix. I'd especially encourage you to use a very heavily inorganic mix where you live because Lithops don't like hot humid days and nights that don't cool down much, which makes up a large portion of the year where you are. Improper soil would probably push them over the edge and into mush during that time.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

Thanks all, Hey I will follow with advice from thew source of those I bought from Kyles plants. These will not be outside but inside to minimize trhe humidity factor. I use coir and perlite for my epis and jungle cacti and they flourish,
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I do have experience with them but there are people on this board with MUCH more experience than me. Epis and Jungle Cacti love your climate (well, most of the year, not mid winter) and like a more organic soil because, well, they are jungle cacti! They come from a hot, humid climate. Lithops come from South Africa which has a climate like California where even if the days are 100 degrees the nights cool down into the 60s or even 50s in mid-summer.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I've used a mix of : lava, pumice, turface chips (w/perlite sometimes) or 50:50 perlite and pearl stone
Both seem to be doing good for my plants so far no problem, I've had some plants that I've had potted with whatever course stuff i could find laying around, because it's soo hard to come by course materials that i can and would like to use for mesemb medium, but it's rarely sold where i live in quantity or size i need/want
iann

Post by iann »

Dirt and rocks :)
--ian