Lithops

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

Lithops

Post by iann »

This is probably my largest Lithops. L. bromfieldii, old and somewhat senile, it tends to lose its roots and shed a few heads from time to time.
bromfieldii-1017.jpg
bromfieldii-1017.jpg (70.95 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
This L. hookeri has probably the largest heads of any of my Lithops, but it is shy about dividing, Finally this spring it went from four to five heads.
hookeri-1017.jpg
hookeri-1017.jpg (76.01 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
I quite like L. divergens. These are fairly typical for the species, small, sandy, and neither colourful nor strongly marked. The flowers are nice though.
divergens-1017.jpg
divergens-1017.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
The is the "large coastal form", not formally named but a little like a bland var amethystina. Finally after about three years these seedlings are bigger than the standard form.
divergens-large-1017.jpg
divergens-large-1017.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Another of my pet species, L. viridis. No playmates to pollinate at the moment, but I did some tickling last year.
viridis-1017.jpg
viridis-1017.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
This L. 'Hammeruby' doesn't look so great today but it has a flower so it got photographed. The bulges suggest too much water a few weeks back, but maybe that is what it needs to flower because it rarely does for me. Now it looks wrinkled as it tends to after being watered.
hammeruby-1017.jpg
hammeruby-1017.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Another one you don't see every day is L. francisci. This one is flowering, but the one behind shows that it doesn't happen every year. Both are going over from being a little gloated a few weeks ago to looking winter-wrinkly.
francisci-1017.jpg
francisci-1017.jpg (51.32 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
L. schwantesii isn't on my list of favourites, but the flowers are sort of interesting.
shwantesiiI-1017.jpg
shwantesiiI-1017.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Just to show I do have some Lithops with white flowers ...
lithops-1017.jpg
lithops-1017.jpg (124.76 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
--ian
Kamos

Re: Lithops

Post by Kamos »

Beautiful ian. =D>
Neal
Mark

Post by Mark »

Great show! Love all the varieties!

Mark
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Really really nice!!!!!
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Giannissimo

Post by Giannissimo »

Wonderful! The schwantesii flower certainly is rather interesting.
Lara

Post by Lara »

Super!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Wow, that's all i gatta say, if the kids in my non profit program for under privileged kids in poverty stricken area's around my town could be lucky enough to someday have some plants like yours from the seeds I'm sowing for them, or hopefully eventually donated from someone/some where (cross my fingers) they would be soooo ecstatic!
I wish we had lithop growers around my area to show the kids a collection of lithops as beautiful as yours!
Then again they would prob cry when i had to make them leave like when i had them view my collection of plant's. But i eventually got them outta there minus a bunch of clippings and a few mini plant's from offsets of bigger plant's. ..lol
Im a sucker for kids what can i say. And plus growing plant's that take patience, effort and care teaches them the rewards of taking care of something and watching it become beautiful and knowing that they did it. And mesembs Deff teach the kids that with alot of patience the reward is all there own when they see there plants thrive as they learn to thrive inn the real world cause nothing happens over night, it takes work and when the results Are GOOD it makes them want to put in the extra effort to ensure they get a good outcome in life.

Sorry i totally rambled, beautiful plant's and great assortment of colors and shapes luv them.