Oops, my hand slipped

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

Oops, my hand slipped

Post by iann »

Autumn exuberance and the last watering of the year was too much for this Lithops.
aucampiae-0924.jpg
aucampiae-0924.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
--ian
Astro

Re: Oops, my hand slipped

Post by Astro »

I see the plant's labeled aucampiae, but doesn't it look a lot like lesliei ssp burchellii? I can't quite count the locules, but I assume there are six in total, which would indicate aucampiae. Just when I thought I had somewhat of a handle on telling lesliei and aucampiae apart...
iann

Post by iann »

There are definitely strong similarities between certain L. lesliei subspecies and certain L. aucampiae subspecies. L. lesliei ssp burchellii doesn't generally have this much open window though. The locule number isn't reliable for a single plant although it is a helpful indication. One thing you can't see easily in photos is that L. aucampiae is a much beefier plant.

To tell these two species apart in photos I generally look for: window colour, brown/reddish for L. aucampiae and a shinier black/greenish for L. lesliei; orange shading at the ends of the channels for L. aucampiae; channels tapering more strongly from wide to narrow for L. aucampiae; small round mini-windows much more common and uniformly distributed in L. lesliei; and a generally more delicate appearance for L. lesliei. In real life it is usually much more obvious which is which, especially side by side, although subspecies and varieties can be tricky.
--ian
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

If you are going to get a split at least it happened in the best place it could! Once that heals over you'll barely notice it.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
iann

Post by iann »

I'll take another picture tomorrow. It has split much wider, all the way to the base. Of course six months those leaves will be gone and the plant will be pristine again.
--ian
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

Snap! I didn't notice till I turned the pot round.
Attachments
Lithops lesliei v mariae split 26 Sept 2014.JPG
Lithops lesliei v mariae split 26 Sept 2014.JPG (72.88 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

iann wrote:I'll take another picture tomorrow. It has split much wider, all the way to the base. Of course six months those leaves will be gone and the plant will be pristine again.
Yeah, that is definitely something in Lithops favor. Last year I had some cacti and Lithops get left out in full sun on a very hot day (long story, but normally they are under shade cloth) and there was a lot of sunburn. The cacti are forever going to show my mistake but the Lithops (except the few that melted) looked terrible for the rest of the year then replaced their leaves last spring and look as good as new.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
iann

Post by iann »

That's one fat flower stalk
aucampiae-0926.jpg
aucampiae-0926.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Haha yes it kinda looks that way lol