Euphorbia gorgonis

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Gypscoprotheres

Euphorbia gorgonis

Post by Gypscoprotheres »

Hi all,

I have a question about my Euphorbia gorgonis. Actially it's about E. gorgonis in general.
What is the minimum winter temperature they can stand?

Then I have another question. My plant flowered this yer and now there are some small fruit-like things growing on the place where the flowers were. Are they seed-pods? If so, I didn't know that I would be able to have seeds from only one plant.
coldcactusmontreal

Re: Euphorbia gorgonis

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

I think a lot of the succulent Euphorbias can stand something around 10 degress celcius.

It sounds like you have seed pods. It depends on the plant, I have several types of Euphorbia and I managed to get seeds from my Monadenium ellenbeckii and I only have one. I'm not sure if it will be a cross with another of my plants or if it's self fertile. Some are. I have a E. leuconeura and it's extremely self fertile and shoots seeds out all the time.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

That is a South African species so I'm pretty sure it can at least take down to freezing and possible could take a light frost (not something I would test on purpose). As a very general rule South African Euphorbs can handle cooler temps than ones from Madagascar or Northern Africa.

I should add the caveat that I am in Southern California, which has a similar climate to parts of SA. So when we get chilly winter nights near freezing the days nearly always warm up to at least 15-20C. In a place like Holland it may have a harder time with near freezing temps if it doesn't get a nice warmup during the day.

As for the seed question, it may well be. Only a few species of the Euphorbs we grow (e.g. E. obesa) are dioecious (male and female plants are separate). If they are a trilobed rounded structure that is almost certainly a seed pod. The fruit are explosively dehiscent so if you want the seeds you will have to set up a way to "catch" them.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Check this out ...............

http://www.euphorbia.de/indexe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

.......... my very favorite succulent Euphorbia web site.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Gypscoprotheres

Post by Gypscoprotheres »

Okay, thanks a lot you all! My 5C greenhouse should do fine then. :)
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

It's a great website, but it seems as if it's impossible to contact him. I wanted to see about plants and seed from him, but he seems to be off the face of the earth.