Matelea cyclophylla

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Astro

Matelea cyclophylla

Post by Astro »

I picked up a cute little caudiciform asclepiad a few months ago at the SF cactus society's show and sale event. I had never seen one of these before, but it immediately caught my eye with its deeply carved caudex and very tidy and compact appearance. Here it is in flower now - nothing spectacular but then again, that's par for the course for a lot of the caudiciforms. As expected, flies are the pollinators of choice as can be seen from the nondescript patches on the flower (hint - those patches used to be wriggly :P). I can't detect any smell, but I have to admit I didn't really try too hard. The flower is about two weeks old now, several more are on the way.
Matelea cyclophylla
Matelea cyclophylla
DSCF6733.JPG (44.24 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Another smelly flower in bloom right now, not the Stapelia gigantea that was promised by the seller and that I was hoping for, but suitably fragrant nevertheless.
Stapelia hirsuta?
Stapelia hirsuta?
DSCF6736.JPG (68.1 KiB) Viewed 1388 times

Stapelia hirsuta?
One Windowsill

Re: Matelea cyclophylla

Post by One Windowsill »

What a neat and pretty plant the Matelea makes.
Saxicola

Re: Matelea cyclophylla

Post by Saxicola »

Nice plant! I love Matelea. I need to warn you though it is by no means a compact plant. Yours is just starting to grow so it looks compact. Mine started growing in the spring and now has a 10 foot long vine creeping across my greenhouse!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants