Intriguing flower, but what genus/species?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Intriguing flower, but what genus/species?

Post by fanaticactus »

I collect 97% cacti and admittedly don't know much about the other succulents. My good friend bought me this, thinking it was the cactus I described that I wanted. It isn't. I set it aside and more or less forgot about it--one of the keys to success, I'm gradually finding out! I put up a photo of it as soon as I got it, but there was no consensus of which succulent it is. Now the flower should help. The flower has no odor. It's still quite small, in a 2" pot. Can anyone please offer a definitive ID? Thanks in advance. Oh, yes...and are any parts of it dangerous to touch, like caustic sap?
DSC03754.JPG
DSC03754.JPG (54.66 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
DSC03755.JPG
DSC03755.JPG (43.91 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
DSC03756.JPG
DSC03756.JPG (54.7 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
DSC03757.JPG
DSC03757.JPG (71.01 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
fanaticactus

Re: Intriguing flower, but what genus/species?

Post by fanaticactus »

Sorry...I misplaced this. It should be in Succulents Identification, but I don't know how to switch it.
david90531

Post by david90531 »

Not expert at these, but 99% sure it's Huernia zebrina. Awesome flowers!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Agreed. Huernia zebrina. No surprise it couldn't be identified without a flower. I'd say less than 10% of Stapeliads can be identified to species without a flower. The sap isn't particularly caustic, certainly less of a problem than a Euphorbia. Just keep it out of your eyes and you'll be ok.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks, guys. I guess the unique flower makes this pretty obvious. My first thought when I saw the flower was "Wow. That looks like the old Chocolate Mint Life Savers!"
david90531

Post by david90531 »

And that is why its common name include "Life Saver Plant"! I always think of chocolate glazed donuts when I see these
Definitely would like to own one of these some day, right now I have some kind of Orbea (variegata) and a Stapelia gigantea but not sure if I can get them to flower
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thank you, David. I had no idea. Actually I like the thought of a chocolate glazed donut better than a Life Saver. More satisfying! :lol:
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

david90531 wrote:And that is why its common name include "Life Saver Plant"! I always think of chocolate glazed donuts when I see these
Definitely would like to own one of these some day, right now I have some kind of Orbea (variegata) and a Stapelia gigantea but not sure if I can get them to flower
They like hot weather and usually bloom best in late summer. So if you are lucky you'll get flowers in the next month or two!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
david90531

Post by david90531 »

Cool, fingers crossed! I grow my plant indoors though because I live in apartment, so it definitely doesn't get too "hot" especially where I live too
david90531

Post by david90531 »

Here they are: