Potted up my mesembs, need advice on watering

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
david90531

Potted up my mesembs, need advice on watering

Post by david90531 »

So I finally received my plants today, and potted them up~
I know this is probably a "when in doubt, don't" situation, but I'm kind of worried about my argy, the others seem to be in okay condition after 9 days of travelling in a postal box, but the argyroderma is quite shriveled up and looks thirsty. I'm not sure if I should give it a little drink, because it is freshly potted and roots are probably quite disturbed by this point already. Any advice?

Lithops pot:
The one flowering has been with me for a week, I'm kind of worried about it flowering at the wrong time though.. is this okay?

shriveled Argyroderma crateriforme
It also has a bit of sunburn on the side I think

Pleiospilos nelii Royal Flush
Quite happy with this one, seems to be flowering too?!

Any help is much appreciated!
iann

Re: Potted up my mesembs, need advice on watering

Post by iann »

Well the Lithops certainly don't need a drink. You do have to wonder how they've been grown that L. julii has decided to flower now. Probably in a factory :( Despite the flower. I'd give the Pleiospilos a while before watering, just as a precaution. It even has a little left in the old leaves, it is a long way from being dehydrated. Once they throw up a bud, you are going to get a flower whether you water or not.

The Argyroderma is in no danger of dying, but protect it from the strongest sun for a week or so. That would be good advice anyway after repotting. Then you can spray it every day or two until it perks up. The superficial wrinkling is normal for a plant that gets very hot during the day. Normally it would be gone by morning, but on a thirsty plant it might persist.
--ian
david90531

Post by david90531 »

Thanks! I will do as you say and hopefully the little guy will look nice and plump sooner than later!
Yeah the julii that's flowering is from a local nursery and I got it separately from the other lithops. When I got it it didn't show too much of the buds, then I noticed it 2 days after. I'll try to water them very carefully to "accommodate" everyone's needs I guess #-o
Still very excited about these guys though, they are just so cool xD!
fenestrane

Post by fenestrane »

This Argyroderma will happily go with no water for a few more months :)
david90531

Post by david90531 »

so THIS happened today! I was so afraid that I was going to miss it.. no idea how long they open and stuff

I know it's a weird time for it to flower, but still super excited because it's my first succulent bloom :DD
iann

Post by iann »

Lithops flowers will last around a week, maybe longer if it is really dull and they don't open every day. They might go over faster opening now in the heat, although P. pseudotruncatella flowers naturally right now and it seems to last just as long. They also go over more quickly if they get pollinated. I usually stop watering once they flower, but probably this one will need another drink before the end of the year!

Go on, have a sniff ...
--ian
david90531

Post by david90531 »

iann wrote:Lithops flowers will last around a week, maybe longer if it is really dull and they don't open every day. They might go over faster opening now in the heat, although P. pseudotruncatella flowers naturally right now and it seems to last just as long. They also go over more quickly if they get pollinated. I usually stop watering once they flower, but probably this one will need another drink before the end of the year!

Go on, have a sniff ...
Oh that's good to know! Haha I thought if I missed it then that's it xD. Thanks for the info.!
Okay, so maybe give it a drink after it flowered?
Do you think it's necessary to move this particular one to another pot after the flower dies? Otherwise would the watering be super tricky?
iann

Post by iann »

Do you think it's necessary to move this particular one to another pot after the flower dies? Otherwise would the watering be super tricky?
You have that problem anyway. Even if this one hadn't flowered, it is very fat and tall while the others are not so plump. You have mixed species with differing growth habits, even differing flower colours. You're not likely to kill them all instantly, but be prepared to repot them if things get all out of sync.
--ian
david90531

Post by david90531 »

I see. Thanks for the advice! Will keep an eye on how they do 8-[
And I apologize in advance but be prepared to receive some more questions from me :oops:
david90531

Post by david90531 »

What do I do with Lithops with dead flowers? Do I have to cut it, or let it be? And also how long after the flower dies does it start to split and regenerate? Is it true that watering should be stopped once the flower dies? Should I dig this one out to make sure I don't kill it when I water other lithops then? (Sorry for the multiple questions..)
Last edited by david90531 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
david90531

Post by david90531 »

The Pleiospilos nelii is doing great, by the way. It's in bloom right now and I got a few good shots. Nothing compared to some of the experts here but I was so happy to see it open up

The argy, on the other hand... is doing a bit worse. It's not rotting or anything but the shriveling got a bit worse, and also I only misted it a few times, but it looks like the skin had a few "explosions" that seems to be linked to over-watering. So that's where I got confused.. is it receiving too little or too much water? (Again, I've only very lightly watered it once, and a few misting)
I'm thinking to leave it alone for now. When does it usually start to regenerate?
Here it is in different angles... It came with a bit of the marks, but I think it definitely multiplied :idea:
iann

Post by iann »

Nothing you can do with the Lithops flowers at this point. Except maybe keep the petals tidy since they will leak pigment all over the leaves when they get wet. Just as they collapse they are very sticky and can easily get stuck all over, or can be twirled together out of the way. Yours look OK. Eventually the whole flower and stalk will dry up and can be pulled off, but don't expect it until next summer. The flower stalks dry to a dead flat stalk but it takes forever to come loose and it isn't a good idea to pull too hard. None of those Lithops need watering, but you're seeing the difficulty of growing them all in one pot.

The Argyroderma certainly looks thirsty, but its hard to know if that's because it needs watering or because it has no roots. The white marks are not overwatering cracks, but they're not good either. I would have said they were old, but maybe they are scorching that has just happened? Or worse! If the roots were established, it should respond overnight to being watered, so it seems like the roots aren't working well. It isn't in any danger yet so no need to panic. Don't expect to see new leaves, or even a flower, until late autumn or winter. It is just in a holding pattern right now, waiting for cooler weather.
--ian
david90531

Post by david90531 »

iann wrote:Nothing you can do with the Lithops flowers at this point. Except maybe keep the petals tidy since they will leak pigment all over the leaves when they get wet. Just as they collapse they are very sticky and can easily get stuck all over, or can be twirled together out of the way. Yours look OK. Eventually the whole flower and stalk will dry up and can be pulled off, but don't expect it until next summer. The flower stalks dry to a dead flat stalk but it takes forever to come loose and it isn't a good idea to pull too hard. None of those Lithops need watering, but you're seeing the difficulty of growing them all in one pot.

The Argyroderma certainly looks thirsty, but its hard to know if that's because it needs watering or because it has no roots. The white marks are not overwatering cracks, but they're not good either. I would have said they were old, but maybe they are scorching that has just happened? Or worse! If the roots were established, it should respond overnight to being watered, so it seems like the roots aren't working well. It isn't in any danger yet so no need to panic. Don't expect to see new leaves, or even a flower, until late autumn or winter. It is just in a holding pattern right now, waiting for cooler weather.
Thanks Iann, always great to get your response. I'll water carefully so it doesn't mess up the petals. So the stalk will be there even if it starts to regenerate during the winter? Yup, definitely some difficulties. I gave them a drink two days ago, and they seem to take it quite alright. Hopefully they can be somewhat in sync once winter begins. I don't know if I'll see another flower from the rest of the bunch this year.

I see, hm I should've taken a picture when the plant arrived (bare-rooted), it did look like it had a good amount of roots and the roots looked healthy and clean. Some of the white marks are old, but a good number of them definitely emerged afterwards. I can say that they're definitely not scorched because I don't get much direct sun, it is mostly strong indirect light, and sometimes some direct sun few hours before the sun set, which is not that strong I believe. And the argy is shaded sometimes.
I will patiently wait until late fall/winter and see if it will do something else. In the mean time, should I just keep it bone dry, or can I mist it once in awhile?
1bigfruit

Post by 1bigfruit »

Remember the argies are winter growers. They will become active in October dormant in april.
A Moth is Lighter than the Sea, but Dimmer than the Light it Sees.
david90531

Post by david90531 »

Thanks! I'm happy to report that the argies are finally responding to watering well. I water it every other week when it starts to look wrinkly, and it smooths and plumps up the next day or two. The explode marks stay there of course, hopefully it will regenerate just fine during the winter.
Do I stop watering it around the same time as Lithops? (around mid November?) Or do I water them regularly until I see signs of regeneration?