My Lithops collection

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
sundanz

My Lithops collection

Post by sundanz »

This year I have luck with my Lithops! They are all growing despite my lack of knowledge! :?
Here they are, and they are ALL growing!
Karin
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.03 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.72 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.47 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.85 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Gail

Re: My Lithops collection

Post by Gail »

Nice collection. I'm new to keeping lithops but I just love them, such interesting little plants.
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Hi Gail! Yes, they are interesting little plants! In 2012 I had a few and they all died. Last year I bought more Lithops and this time I was determined to keep them alive! I read up on them and was more careful with watering. I still don't know exactly which ones are summer or winter growers! So far so good because they are all alive and growing! LOL
iann

Post by iann »

How could I resist this post :)

Is that tall one a Pleiospilos (canus) compactus?

Probably no water for the Lithops until September. I've heard about summer dormancy being a problem in very hot locations (hence leave them dry for the hottest part of the summer), although this isn't something I'm very familiar with. When did the little L. karasmontana lose all the other heads? Winter or summer?

In Europe, northern Europe at least, all Lithops are treated as summer growers. They are kept completely dry through winter, watered in spring when the old leaves are done, watered as (and if) needed over summer and then watered in autumn until flowering. In habitat some of them, a majority by number of species although none of the ones you have, come from winter rainfall areas. The ones most common in cultivation are almost unique amongst mesembs in coming from arid areas with little or no winter rainfall, just erratic summer or late summer storms. You won't go wrong watering in spring and autumn, just make sure last year's leaves are gone before you start deep autumn watering. Remember, if in doubt, wait. You simply won't kill a Lithops by underwatering. Your best bet might even be to let them retreat below ground in summer like they do in habitat.
--ian
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Congrats Karin on your collection! =D> Very nice!
Neal
melodies

Post by melodies »

I'm afraid I had the same problem with some of my Lithops as you did with your. L. karasmontana. They just dried up during late winter/early spring. Wonder why. :-k
-Jolene

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
-Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy
tkneebone

Post by tkneebone »

Great looking collection ya got there,I have one split rock left out of 4 ya I goofed n over watered them n they turned to mush it was so sad but I will return to the Home Depot to get more when ever they get some in again I'm a new succulent addict lol
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

iann wrote:Is that tall one a Pleiospilos (canus) compactus?
My first thought is that it is a Cheiridopsis...
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Aiko, I think you might be right!! I just looked it up and it definitely looks like my plant!!
Thank you!!
Karin
iann

Post by iann »

It isn't a Cheiridopsis. I'm fairly sure it is P. compactus (the least compact species!), sometimes called P. canus, but I wanted to check. It is more of a summer grower than P. nelii, can be treated more like a Lithops. It also flowers more consistently in autumn. The flowers aren;t as pretty as P. nelii but thay are strongly scented.
compactus-030912b.jpg
compactus-030912b.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
--ian