Conophytum already splitting the old leaves

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
clango

Conophytum already splitting the old leaves

Post by clango »

My conophytum is in the summer resting period but a couple of its leaves are splitting already out, even if, the old leaves are changing its colour but are not yet sheat. Is it normal? Of course I'm not watering it since first days of last April
Saxicola

Re: Conophytum already splitting the old leaves

Post by Saxicola »

Has it been unusually cool where you are? Also you say you haven't watered them, but do they get rain?

Anyway, I wouldn't get too worried. I'd just let them do their thing and not water them. Hopefully that will make them go dormant again.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
clango

Post by clango »

Thank you! I can understand it happened for the cool weather and the humidity around. And in the last months it was cool here!
Of course the plant it's not exposed to the direct rain but when it rain the relative humidity increase and the plant adsorb it. Anyway I attach the picture of what happened for a better comprehension.

PS: Nice your ebay listings, Kyle! Your list is little but well selected and I appreciate your high profile to support in the best way your customers! :-)
Attachments
Conophytum velutinum ssp polyandrum_2014_giu_split_1427f.jpg
Conophytum velutinum ssp polyandrum_2014_giu_split_1427f.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Thanks for the kind words! Actually I am at the end of a listing cycle. Tomorrow I go get more plants from a wholesaler and will probably have 70+ listings up by the weekend. Unfortunately there are too many regulations for me to sell internationally!

I think your plants will be fine. We've had such a dry and warm winter and spring that my Conophytums went dormant in April. I think in your case they are just reacting to the weather and should go fully dormant once the summer heat arrives.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
1bigfruit

Post by 1bigfruit »

Not all conos go to a papery sheath. they do also do some growing in the summer hidden away unseen, as do lithops.
Looking at wild photos I see lithops and conos such as velutinum and bilobum looking just like this.
So I wouldnt worry. They can be watered if they are active. All my conos are early this year. They are supposed to be triggered by day length, but.... This year we had a particularly cold spell in August.
A Moth is Lighter than the Sea, but Dimmer than the Light it Sees.
roxettelilly

Post by roxettelilly »

g/day. i,em in australia, i just brought a conophytum wittebergense, the lady told me not to water it as it,s just flowered, we are now in winter her, i google up how to care for them, i read where it said to water in winter, not in summer, double dutch to me, can you advise me on how to care for it as i intended to get a few more regards peter aust.
iann

Post by iann »

roxettelilly wrote:g/day. i,em in australia, i just brought a conophytum wittebergense, the lady told me not to water it as it,s just flowered, we are now in winter her, i google up how to care for them, i read where it said to water in winter, not in summer, double dutch to me, can you advise me on how to care for it as i intended to get a few more regards peter aust.
Water in the cool season. Mostly autumn here in England, probably winter for you. In hot weather they become dormant, and I mean really dormant, dry dead husks. Don't water them in the summer or you'll kill them. In really hot summers, the small bodied species can be sprayed occasionally just to stop them completely drying out, but you might be safer shading them until you get a good handle on their habits. Provide good sun in winter.

In England we have to be quite stingy with winter and spring water to make sure they dry out their old leaves properly. You probably don't have those worries, so water them when they get thirsty, but once the weather warms up you have to let them go! C. wittebergense tends to get a bit long and leggy growing in England, but again you should be able to do better with sun in its growing season.

Conophytum in summer;
cono2-0706.jpg
cono2-0706.jpg (91.51 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
C. wittebergense in flower: nocturnal and strongly scented.
wittebergense5.jpg
wittebergense5.jpg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
--ian