Please help with Gasteria

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Nattie_Natt

Please help with Gasteria

Post by Nattie_Natt »

Is the small branch like thing to the left mean flowering and if so is it okay to repot? And the black on the bottom of the plant is that from the dirt or why else would it be that way? Please help. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG_20140526_210438.jpg
IMG_20140526_210438.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
GreenThumb

Re: Please help with Gasteria

Post by GreenThumb »

Still a beginner, but the "branch" looks like a side shoot but too young to be reported yet, in my modest opinion. The blackening of the bottom may signal overwatering and needs to be kept an eye on.
Hope other members would chime in. :)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

If I was you I would be tempted to de-pot it and check the roots. Mine are in mainly mineral and a small amount of potting compost. If when you de-pot the compost is wet it could be that you have over-watered. Let it dry out between watering. I also am not an expert but have two types of this plant and give the advice based on my own experience. If when you de-pot and find that it is soft where the black part is take off some off-shoots (providing they are not affected as well) at least you will have a back up then, just in case. On the other hand you will have gained another plant. Hope it is OK.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mg2007

Post by mg2007 »

I have to agree with GreenThumb and Twiggy - that place on the right is very bothersome and I recommend depotting and a leaner soil mixture at once.