Texas Tuberose -- Manfreda maculosa

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Texas Tuberose -- Manfreda maculosa

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

My Texas tuberoses (Manfreda maculosa) are blooming. In many cases, the foliage was frozen off to near ground level. I feared that might all be dead - and I certainly did not expect them to bloom. The flower stalks shot up for the sun just as soon as the ground began to warm, ... or maybe it was day length. I really don't know which they key off of.

In my garden, they grow simply grow (and bloom) -- sun or shade, with or without water. These are growing in deep shade. It is fascinating how they reach out to the sun.

Here is a close up of the flower.

My hummers love them.

This last shot has terrible composition, ... but (you knew there would be a but), I liked that I captured both the hummer and a wasp preparing to work a blossom. This is most likely a yellow jacket, but it could be any of several wasps that live in my yard.

My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
Mark

Re: Texas Tuberose -- Manfreda maculosa

Post by Mark »

Very cool!

Mark
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Two of mine are blooming for the first time this year too, they're a little behind yours though. Hopefully they'll produce seed. Could you post a better picture of one of your plant's rosettes?

I also have a manfreda sileri, which is very similar and possibly the same plant. It bloomed last year and is making at least 2 new rosettes this year.
bluetexasbonnie

Sorry Sparkie - spring-summer is such a wonderful time to be a gardener that I haven't visited here much and missed your request. Went out and took a few shots this morning.

These are exactly the plants that were pictured reaching out from under the oak tree. I have already trimmed off the spent blossom heads - they look so ugly once the flowers are done. (Some in my family argue that they always look ugly, whether blooming or not.)

Here is a closer shot to show more detail of the rosette clumps.

And finally, two little ones that were moved off by themselves last fall. (Well, in fact, I'm fairly certain I only planted one. They multiply, and multiply, and multiply. IMO, they look best when kept thinned out. I am about to run out of room to put the culls. It is so hard to just burn them - but I dare not put them in the compost heap.

These did not come labeled. They are a pass-along plant. Based the identification on internet search -- pictures and description as a common pass-along plant in this area. No one in my friend set does exotic-rare plants.

Do yours look about these?
promethean_spark

Here's a couple of my critters:
Similar, but your plant looks closer to the 'sileri' I have (wider leaves, and fewer spots).
bluetexasbonnie

For years my mother kept these in pots and in the house only. They had a 'finer' structure then, but I don't remember how much finer. I only remember being surprised how big, thick and fleshy they became when grown in real dirt outside. Also surprised how well they survived the cold. When my mother got it she was told it couldn't stand any cold, which is definitely untrue.

Nice collection you have going there.
promethean_spark

They seem to die back when exposed to frost and come back from the roots (after looking like they died), so I keep them in GH where they are more or less evergreen. If they get through your z8 winters I should try them in the ground in my xeric beds.