Rooting an echidnopsis

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
AgavaSK

Rooting an echidnopsis

Post by AgavaSK »

Hi! I need an advice. I got a cutted piece of echidnopsis (probably cereiformis). I was looking for a tip, if there is any possibility that it can develope roots but I didn`t get any. So now I`m asking you if you have any experience with this.

Many thanks!
More pictures of my cacti&succulents in 2016:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 933bd488be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CactusFanDan

Re: Rooting an echidnopsis

Post by CactusFanDan »

I guess treat it like a typical Asclepiad cutting, put it in a well-draining mix, keep it warm/hot and water every now and then. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
AgavaSK

Post by AgavaSK »

Thank you.
More pictures of my cacti&succulents in 2016:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 933bd488be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Stapeliads in general can be fickle about rooting. One thing I've noticed is that they often don't want to send out roots until they are stressed. In other words when the stems look nice and fresh they don't want to root but after several weeks or more of getting more and more shriveled the plant will finally give in and send out roots. You know when that has happened as the plant will plump up and look happy again.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

I had a similar problem. My E cereiformis and my H zebrina just up and died on me after flowering. But left me with ample offsets. They've been sitting there and I've been waiting for roots but nothing so far.
C And D

Post by C And D »

You have to wait until the season is right
They will easily root during spring and summer
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
coldcactusmontreal

Yes well hopefully they will make it.

I still have a cutting of a Euphorbia ferox I got LAST summer and it didn't root. It's still green with absolutely not root growth. I'm hoping the season will turn it on again and I can get it going. I'm not sure how long I should wait though, I'm worried the bit in the soil is dead, maybe I should bury it deeper?
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

If it has gone that long and you don't think it has rooted then take it out of the pot and look at it. It is possible the base is both undamaged and has no roots, but my gut feeling is it has either put on some roots or has some rot. Anyway, as long as the base hasn't rotten I would give it until at least summer as the warmer weather and longer days may give it the boost it needs to start growing.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
coldcactusmontreal

I was looking at it the other day, it really has no rot. It is turning somewhat brown up one side but not in a rot sort of way. I had initially cut off some of the tip (months ago) because it did seem a bit craggy but not rotten or soft. I was surprised that there was latex still running in it. I noticed that it's quite light now though, so it must be losing water.
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

After scaring for two weeks, I would treat with a fungicide (sulfurr, thiram, benomyl etc) and rooting hormone (Indolegutyric acid). Minimalwater for the first month and than sparingly. Bobby Z