Seed Pods!!

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
orion

Seed Pods!!

Post by orion »

Found this earlier
DSC_0311.jpg
DSC_0311.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 798 times
from this
DSC_0312.jpg
DSC_0312.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 798 times
and this around 3 meters away
DSC_0334.jpg
DSC_0334.jpg (58.7 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Both these plants seldom bear pods before, could they have cross pollinated.....

I have never tried sowing aloe seeds before, do my questions is, When would be a good time to sow the seeds, immediately after collecting the ripe pods or do I have to wait a while? I assume baggie method still is the way to go, if so, how long should they be kept inside the baggie?

TIA
Mac
Tony

Re: Seed Pods!!

Post by Tony »

Most likely hybrid seed between the two Aloes that were blooming at the same time, possibly pollinated by a Hummingbird or Bee.
looks like Aloe hemmingii x Aloe hybrid Whoknowswhat???
If you want to sow all the seeds, wait until the first seed pods just start to dry out and open up on their own and start to release the seeds, then you can cut the entire stalk off the plant and place it in a cool dry place, preferably in a small paper bag until they all open up and release all the seeds. You could use a plastic bag as well, but dont seal it up or the seed pods wont dry out quickly.
You can sow them any time after that. I have found the baggie method works great for germinating them, but I open up the baggies within a few weeks and start to water them to keep the pots from drying out.
I have tried to leave them in humid enclosure for extended periods, but have lost a lot of seedlig Aloes, Gasterias etc. doing this.
For some reason they dont apreciate being kept in 100% humidity for a long time.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
orion

Re: Seed Pods!!

Post by orion »

Thanks for the information.

The first one is Aloe harlana, the original plant was from some 15 years ago, which was about 12 cm across and had since grown and produced around 10 pups, this is one of them which is 20 cm across. And yes the other one is a hybrid (which I can't remember the name), which in contrast is a prolific setting pup after pup.

Mac