Pleiospilos nelii bloom

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
oldcat61

Re: Pleiospilos nelii bloom

Post by oldcat61 »

I've done well with the box store lithops & pleiospilos - you just have to get them out of the crap soil/pots immediately & give them proper care. My lithos "Lowensis" from spring bloomed this fall. All white, so I went hunting for yellows. Sue
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Ok, here is my experience with them. I had 6 (now 5) up to a couple of weeks ago. We had very warm weather and I watered them a little bit because they seemed thirsty. 2 of my plants were in bloom during the watering. The next day the 2 that we're blooming looked like they were in shock, with one of them split down the middle and rotting. I tossed that one because it was dead. The other one who was in bloom looked like it needed help and I repotted it immediately into dry soil and it seems to be ok as of today! It's still flowering!! Of course now Im scared to death to water again. The ones that have no flower fared well with the watering, no effect at all.
I am determind to keep them alive!!!

Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

I don't ever really drench mine but all of us have different micro-climates. I've had good results using a spray/mister - the water just dribbles off & only a small amount reaches the roots. Kind of like a heavy dew as opposed to real rain. Might not work in your heat. Sue
1bigfruit

Post by 1bigfruit »

They are nice plants which flower in spring. They are supposed to have two to three sets of leaves. If you get humid summers they may rot. They like a hot bright position. If P. Nelii makes a new head in the autumn it will flower in spring.
If it was grown in a peat plug I would definately replace the dirt.
There is an e-book about them on amazon.
A Moth is Lighter than the Sea, but Dimmer than the Light it Sees.