Aeonium "Ballerina" = variegated form of Balsamiferum?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Flex

Aeonium "Ballerina" = variegated form of Balsamiferum?

Post by Flex »

Hi all.

Noticed this a few months back: my Aeonium, probably "Ballerina" , has partly reverted to it's un-variegated form, which looks suspiciously like balsamiferum (or at least what I have labelled as balsamiferum...)

I say probably "Ballerina" as this was an unnamed cutting, though is identical to one I bought that was labelled.

It's late and this post doesn't make much sense. Have a picture:

Both heads are attached to the same plant. Which looks interesting.

Felix
Saxicola

Re: Aeonium "Ballerina" = variegated form of Balsamiferum?

Post by Saxicola »

It may well be A. balsamiferum. I know most of the species of Aeonium, and your plant looks the most like that.

Schulz, in his book on Aeonium, claims it is A. glutinosum or a hybrid containing A. glutinosum in one part of the book and in another part claims it is a hybrid, definitely is not a form of A. glutinosum, and may be an A. canarense hybrid! There is no reconcilliation between those two statements. I really think he thought one thing one day and changed his mind later and forgot to update his notes. When I bought his book I thought it would give me the answers I wanted about the genus, but more and more I question his judgement particularly when it comes to cultivars and hybrids.

That being said he does say A. Ballerina reverts (to the green form) quite often. Given that this plant has fuzzy leaves and A. glutinosum doesn't (I think) it wouldn't be that. A. canarense can be hairy, but the rosettes get quite large. I haven't a clue why he doesn't take the path of least resistance and consider A. balsamiferum.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants