Growing Lithops and Other Difficult Mesembs

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
C And D

Re: Growing Lithops and Other Difficult Mesembs

Post by C And D »

The split rocks may enjoy a more rich soil, we grow them in our garden by just tossing in some seed, and watering them like a squash
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 23536 times
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

C And D wrote:The split rocks may enjoy a more rich soil, we grow them in our garden by just tossing in some seed, and watering them like a squash
IMG_0014.jpg
Wow. Really? Nice assortment of "squash" there. :shock: :lol:
iann

Post by iann »

I might try that. I might fail :lol:
--ian
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

iann wrote:I might try that. I might fail :lol:
Up here too. We have had almost the coldest day of 23 May ever: just 10.5C and not much sunlight. Now add a cold and wet winter and they will surely die a horrible mushy death.
Tlaloc

Post by Tlaloc »

well it's been a month and i'm happy to report that all my little lithops are doing fine :mrgreen: . the smallest one has a pretty sizable bleached scar i just noticed today, so he and his potmate are partial shade now. it turns out in a climate like this is you leave them out all day in the sun they seem to be really quite thirsty plants, they get all wrinkled on the sides every 2 or 3 days so i spritz them down with a bit of water from one of my fish tanks. i'll post pictures soon enough :)
iann

Post by iann »

Don't go crazy if they wrinkle up after a hot day in the sun. If they're fat by morning then they're fine. If not then you can give them some water.
--ian
Tlaloc

Post by Tlaloc »

thanks ian, although i think the sun here is the real problem. i got a new job so i wasn't home much last week, and unfortunately it's been the hottest week of the year, every day was over 100. one split on the top and another got scorched on one side. i put them all in indirect light but they seem to be permanently wrinkled, even after i gave them water.do you think they'll be okay once they grow new heads in a few months?
iann

Post by iann »

Splits are ugly, but so long as they dry out without the head rotting, they'll be perfect again next year.

Don't know about your wrinkles. They shouldn't be wrinkled *and* splitting at the same time. Wrinkles means thirsty, splits mean it was watered when it wasn't thirsty. It takes persistent overwatering to split a Lithops, doesn't happen overnight. Well actually it does happen overnight :lol: But only if the Lithops was already full and you still gave it more water. Photos might help diagnose whether they are really thirsty,not, or in some other trouble.

Scorching is simple. Too hot! Although a Lithops is quite happy at 140F, or even more, it can heat up way beyond that if it is sitting in the sun without air moving over it. Lithops are perfectly designed to heat up, but not well designed to cool down. Keep the air moving. Use a fan if necessary. If that still isn't enough, shade them when it is hottest. If the heat persists then you might need to shade them so you don't have to water too much even though they are sluggish from the heat.
--ian
srboisvert

Post by srboisvert »

Cat litter must be a type that does not become mushy in water, often sold as "lightweight". It is made from clay, but it is fired to it is hard and doesn't clump. Maybe someone can recommend a brand, but I don't know of any available in the US.
The closest I have found in America to the Tesco's Finest that I used to use in the UK is Napa Auto Parts Oil Dry Part #8822 (The part number matters as they have another version that is less suitable). It's the almost the same product though I preferred the reddish colour of the Tescos cat litter. You also need to strain out the fine parts and dust which I didn't have to do with the cat litter. Who knew I would miss Tescos?
Tlaloc

Post by Tlaloc »

Okay I FINALLY got a good camera so here is what my lithops like. Thankfully they have done precisely nothing since my last post
Attachments
20130811_171045.jpg
20130811_171045.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 23286 times
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

I have several small pots of lithops which are just finishing blooming. I'd like to consolidate them in a pretty bonsai shallow pan. Do I transplant them now or in the spring? Thanks for your help, Sue
Attachments
Lithops Family.jpg
Lithops Family.jpg (60.94 KiB) Viewed 23178 times
C And D

Post by C And D »

You can transplant them now.
Just don't water them until next Spring, they should be fine.

Pot of Lithops otzeniana
IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2833.jpg (68.4 KiB) Viewed 23161 times

Lithops Table in October this Year
IMG_2823.jpg
IMG_2823.jpg (113.09 KiB) Viewed 23161 times
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

If starting lithops from seed, can they be started year-round or is it best to plant in spring? I'd be keeping them indoors under lights, so temperatures would be fairly constant.

I was just curious if it's necessary to 'sync' them up initially with a particular growing cycle, or if they take watering (or lack thereof) as their cue to go dormant or continue growth?
Illinois cactus fan & developer of Cactus Album apps (iOS, Mac & PC)
Web: http://andrewnicolle.com
Twitter: @andrewnicolle
iann

Post by iann »

You can start them at any time and they will sync up after a year or so, assuming they are exposed to enough seasonal variation so they know what time of year it is. I start most in late winter under lights, which gives them enough time to bulk up before going out into the sun in April or May. It also means that seed harvested in the previous summer will be mature enough to germinate very easily. In hotter climates, especially with good winter sun, an earlier sowing may work better. I occasionally sow in summer just out in the greenhouse and they do fine but they don't have time in the first summer to get their first true leaves properly established.
--ian
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

The other day I ordered a bunch of Lithops seeds, so the next thing will be getting them started off right. I was thinking of using a mix of screened pumice and red lava, maybe with some added perlite for aeration. Or do I need more of an organic component like a commercial cactus mix to retain a little more moisture? Are their requirements much different than when starting cacti from seed?
Illinois cactus fan & developer of Cactus Album apps (iOS, Mac & PC)
Web: http://andrewnicolle.com
Twitter: @andrewnicolle