Aren't these Succulents?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Aren't these Succulents?

Post by DaveW »

Being a devote practicing Cactophile it always puzzles me as to what you Other Succulent fans allow and reject, when some of the "rejects" seem more succulent than those you allow. I photographed a few wild flowers in Chile when I was there and though I did not see any myself I remembered reading about the "Rosulate Violets" which are certainly just as succulent as the Aeonium tabuliforme from the Canary Islands you grow.

How about these then as Succulents.

http://www.indefenseofplants.com/blog/2 ... ate-violas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also see:-

http://www.merlin-trust.org.uk/Assets/r ... Groves.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mmcavall

Re: Aren't these Succulents?

Post by mmcavall »

wow amazing plants, thanks for sharing! when we think we have already seen allthings, these incredible plants appears to remember we that disallowed - see forum rules possibilities are infinite!

I wonder if someone cultivates these plants and if someday they will be available for collectors...
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

They sure look mighty succulent to me!!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Where can I get one they are stunning and I'm not usually in to non cacti succulents.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

mmcavall wrote:wow amazing plants, thanks for sharing! when we think we have already seen allthings, these incredible plants appears to remember we that disallowed - see forum rules possibilities are infinite!
:shock: The word I used above and that was "disallowed" was the name of the biological process that explains biological diversity, which, apparently, I cant cite here. I understand that it can lead to some debate because people have different beliefs, but it is a pity that this is treated as "bad language" and must be disallowed, moreover when the forum is/should be enriched with subjects related to phylogeny, systematics biology, taxonomy...
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

A while ago I tried to get a permit to legally order the seeds from Chile. I'm in the USA. The permit was denied. I was told other Viola species became a problem so no new species are allowed.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Seeds are available here if you can get them into the USA. I would think most seeds just go through the post anyway without most buyers bothering asking if permits are needed, unlike for plants. Would the postal authorities know what they are anyway?

http://www.chileflora.com/Florachilena/ ... la&B1=Find" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have read they are pigs to germinate though, and may need stratification. Darren S on the BCSS Forum says:-

"Alpine growers have been attempting these and mostly failing for decades. Sometimes one appears at an Alpine show in flower but very rarely.

To germinate the seed you need to soak it for 24 hours in a 500ppm solution of Gibberellic acid (GA3) (you can sometimes buy it on ebay) then put the seeds in damp filter paper in the fridge for several weeks until the roots show, then pot them up. I have done this with a few species and it works well. Rosulate viola seem to be one of the few plants with an absolute requirement for Gibberellic acid for germination.

They are, however, extremely difficult to get past the cotyledon stage and they need maximum light at all times or they will etiolate badly. Sadly, if you overdo it with the GA3 this just makes the etiolation worse."

See also:-

http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?script= ... 1000200017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?pid=S07 ... ci_arttext" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

DaveW wrote:Seeds are available here if you can get them into the USA. I would think most seeds just go through the post anyway without most buyers bothering asking if permits are needed, unlike for plants. Would the postal authorities know what they are anyway? ...
I don't recommend trying to sneak them in to the USA. Postal authorities do catch seeds without permits in the mail and you might be put on their naughty list for it if you don't get in to even more trouble. Usually seeds from legit businesses are labeled.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I have sent much home grown seeds to the US in the last few years on many occasion. Only once (that I know of) an envelope was confiscated and destroyed. Most likely because of the Lophophora seeds. For US I never label the envelope and don't use a CN22 customs declarations. I just put the seeds in a labeled paper bag, wrap the seeds up in some tissue for protection, and put that in a bubble wrapped envelope with only an address, return address and a international stamp. No permits, no phyto. Can't be simpler, and works safely and fast (and why wouldn't it...).