Ihlenfeldtia vanzylii in bloom (photos)

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
meizzwang

Ihlenfeldtia vanzylii in bloom (photos)

Post by meizzwang »

It seems there aren't many pictures of this species in bloom online, so I had no idea what to expect. I was under the impression that Ihlenfeldtzia vanzylii is a winter grower and blooms during the cool season, but for some reason, it opened up here in northern California in June (our summer)! At first, the outer leaves started to shrivel up and I thought the plant was starting to go dormant, so the frequency of watering decreased. Then, new growth bursted out of the middle with a flower bud, so it was confusing what to do....water it and risk rot because it's going dormant, or stop watering and just let it shrivel down? I ended up doing something in between:water but not very often. We've had very abnormal weather up here: super hot days, and then weeks on end that are abnormally cold and windy. In fact, it's hot, cold, hot, cold, windy, then we get heat waves!

The flower only opens during the day and then closes at night. I couldn't detect a strong scent, but there's something there...very light. Photos taken June 11, 2016:

At first, I thought I was doing something wrong because the leaf tips all of the sudden out of nowhere started turning brown. They eventually died down half way, but the remaining half is still much very alive.....so weird!

iann

Re: Ihlenfeldtia vanzylii in bloom (photos)

Post by iann »

Probably the flowers are just a bit late. See if they are coming from the old leaf pair. Plants should be going dormant now. Quite a few winter growers that flower at the end of their growing period (ie. spring) can have flowers open well into summer here. Probably in southern California they'd get it sorted earlier and be asleep by now.
--ian
meizzwang

Post by meizzwang »

Hi Iann,

Thanks for the feedback! The tip of the old winter/spring leaves turned brown, and then seemingly out of nowhere, a brand new set of leaves plus a flower stalk quickly pushed out form the center. Is this species usually a spring bloomer or fall bloomer?
cjbaker

Post by cjbaker »

Nice looking flower! Mine seem to have stopped growing a few weeks ago, after they turned over a new leaf pair and one grew a new head. They're 2 years old from seed, no flowers yet. My favorite feature of this species is when the dots on the tips of new leaves turn grayish purple, but I've never seen them turn brown like you describe.
Craig [my pictures]