Sick Jade Plant Lost Leafs Advise Needed

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
PlantMad

Sick Jade Plant Lost Leafs Advise Needed

Post by PlantMad »

I have a jade plant that's lost all of it's leaves.

I've removed it from the media to try and find out if it's got root rot as it was left in the care of someone else. Before it was nice and healthy.

I would be grateful of the next wise move. I have attached some photo's the trunk and some branches a firm while others seem dehydrated.

Rootstock seems to be healthy so now what's the best way to promote new leaf's to regrow.

Would you advise placing on a seed heat mat, rooting hormone after nipping a few roots or horticultural sulfur.

Your advise welcome

stefan m.

Re: Sick Jade Plant Lost Leafs Advise Needed

Post by stefan m. »

I think its dead. Should possess turgor and green buds even when dormant.
The fact that the branches wrinkled like they did means its been out of water for too long.
Aiko

Re: Sick Jade Plant Lost Leafs Advise Needed

Post by Aiko »

I don't think it is death (although there is a chance for it). It just looks very dry. I assume the twigs are not entirely squishy, and still feel a bit firm and are still (a bit) firmly attached to the trunk?

My plants usually keep (some of) their leaves, but lots of leaves fall off when it goes dormant. Maybe the leaves were removed before sending as they would brake off anyway? Or was it not sent via the post?

I would just pot it up, give it a light splash of water so the roots can take up at least some water, and then just leave it for spring. In April you can put it outside and just let rain get onto it (I see you are in the UK, so that should be safe by that time (it is safe for me up here, so we have an equal climate)). For now it is (or should be) dormant, so don't water too much and definately don't put it in a warm spot. Just a one splash I would do. If too warm, it will only dehydrate more.