Unhappy aloe?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Arthouse.Ragdoll

Unhappy aloe?

Post by Arthouse.Ragdoll »

Hello there everyone I hope someone here can help me.
I have a very small aloe variegata that I've had maybe 4months. It's been fine up until maybe a week ago.
Most of the plant looks just fine but the bottom two leaves of the plant have turned yellow and if anything have gone slightly harder than the rest of the plant.
I've overwated and killed succulents in the past so I have seen how they get squishy when rotton but this seems a bit different. The last time I watered it was around 3weeks ago.
It's been sitting in my bathroom in indirect sunlight and it's been very humid here. The soil does not feel wet but not bone dry either, sort of a well rung out sponge kind of level of damp feeling.
What could this be? I'm hoping it's just the old leaves naturally dying off. Is is able to be saved?
Thanks for helping ♡
Attachments
My poor baby
My poor baby
Screenshot_20180101-012912.jpg (95.81 KiB) Viewed 893 times
If you are happy; I am happy ♡
Aiko

Re: Unhappy aloe?

Post by Aiko »

Usually the bottom leaves dry out and wither away. This is a normal procedure for a lot of (African) succulent plants with leaves like this Aloe. But at the looks of it the leaves are not just drying out, they look to be rotting. Hard to be sure based on just a picture. Is there a rotting smell?

Maybe take out the plant from the pot, remove the soil and see if you can pull the two leaves from the plant. And check if the remaining of the plant is still nice green and not showing signs of rot.

Whatever you do, don't water if you don't know if it needs water. That should be your main rule: if in doubt to water, then do not water! Overwatering is the main cause of succulent plants death.
Maddiesicky

Post by Maddiesicky »

i would definitely take it out of the bathroom. in my experience succulents in bathrooms almost always die because there is too much humidity and that will cause them to rot just as much as over watering will. definitly put it in a dry place with good light. take it out of the pot gently shake the soil completely off of the roots TAKE OFF ALL ROTTED AND DEAD PARTS OR IT WILL SPREAD !!! let it dry for 3 days that way no more mold or fungus will grow on the roots and do the same with all of the other plants in the container too because if one is rotting chances are the others will too because they are living in the same condition even if they arent showing signs yet . completely clean out the pot with soap rinse we and use new soil. The most important thing is dont water for at least a week after re potting to insure the roots callused over from any damage or breakage after taking them out of the pot. this insures that all open wounds are healed and pathogens wont enter your roots causing more rot defeating the purpose of all of these steps. this is the only way i have been able to save anything from rot. once it starts whatever parts are rotted will definitly die. the healthy parts should live. the only plants that should ever be in bathrooms are tropical plants or plants that like humidity. succulents and cacti are from places that have no humidity and therefore cant handle it. keep that in mind when picking out a place to put your succulents or plants. always try to mimic their natural homes and you will get the best results 😊 and try direct sunlight to help your babies heal it definitely helps prevent rotting. i hope this works!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

I consider aloes very very xeriscapic plants. Overwatering is their enemy. Humidity is also an enemy. I agree with both the
members that have already answered. Do not water unless you see signs of the plant needing it. And I hope to keep this rule also, lol.
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb