Transitioning from cacti to succulents. Growing tips?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
brixtertabun

Transitioning from cacti to succulents. Growing tips?

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan m.

Re: Transitioning from cacti to succulents. Growing tips?

Post by stefan m. »

I actually started growing succulents first, then moved to cacti pretty early.
What you would want to know from my exp(disclaimer-i dont grow apocyanae, euphorbiae and senecio succulents)
is the following
Crassulaceae fammily: Like it sunny(crassula, cotyledon, most echeveria, ) , to partial shade(sedums, sempervivums, graptopetalums etc). Sempervivums and some sedums that are hardy(not in your case-not sure tropical climate would work) like it outdoor for the cold.
Aloeae-Tall, large , bush and tree -like aloes like it sunny. Everything else, partial shade(other aloes, haworthia,gasteria).
Agave-Like it sunny.
Youll find most succulents to be somewhat more forgiving and durable than cacti. On top of that, they have a similar watering regime, and are way easier to handle during repot. Even to the soil they need is similar.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

You dont have winter/summer cycle where you live. Im gonna guess is to keep dry during monsoon season, and water throughout the year(tropical means whole year is growing time. you may wanna try to artificially induce rest, but im not sure how that will work where you live. Suggest watering weekly, amount of water depends on humidity. In your case, soil should also be more porous with more mineral material(volcanic soil etc)
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Sedum leaves fall quite easily. Some sedums can take quite a lot of water. So i suggest instead of the "water when dry" rule to not let the soil dry out completely
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I use a 100% mineral mix of sand soil and gravel and they're doing great.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Depending on how fast your mix dries. I use this mix for my aloes and sedums and some other succulents. Sometimes it tends to stay moist longer than my cactus porous mix. My sedums are currently out in the rain in this mix and everything is okay. Just water them when you water your cacti and if u notice they can take more water then you can water more ofter. I wouldn't use pumice because i think it's not necessary in this case so save the money. I assure you that my sedum mix of top soil some sand and some gravel is quite good.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I don't have accurate ratios like my cacti mixes but it's around 5 parts top soil, 1 part sand and 2 parts small gravel