Dorstenia foetida/crispa care and soil

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
cacti and cacti not

Dorstenia foetida/crispa care and soil

Post by cacti and cacti not »

I just got a dorstenia foetida and a dorstenia crispa that I ordered delivered today. What should the soil be like? I'm thinking of a well-draining mix based on punice but with a significant amount of potting soil as well. I think that I want to grow them in clay pots, as I do with most of my plants. Also, how long should I wait to water them after potting them, and how much, if any extra humidity should I give them here in Southern California?
williamsii823

Re: Dorstenia foetida/crispa care and soil

Post by williamsii823 »

I pot my Dorstenias in a mix of 2 parts potting soil, 1 part pumice, 1 part perlite, and 1 part, a mix of perlite + sifted coconut coir. It should be an easy draining mix with moderate organic "food" for the plant. I water well, and let dry out before watering again. I'd water right after repotting. Also, they like to be in small pots, they do not have tremendous root systems.
cacti and cacti not

Thanks for the advice. I potted my dorstenias today, so I will water them tomorrow. :)
cacti and cacti not

I used clay pots and a mix consisting mainly of pumice, but also with some potting soil.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I have now my first Dorstenia, which I purchased with no soil. So that is what I did: clay pot with big holes, very well aerated mix composed of coarse grit and a generous portion of leaf mold. They dont like to dry out completelly between waterings (as I read), some humidity must always remain in the pot during the growing season (but not waterlogged) (during the winter they dont like humidity!). The weather is very hot and dry now, so I'm wartering every other day. The plant is under light shade and it is doing very fine, lots of beatiful new leaves and bizarre flowers already. Not sure the same scheme would work in any climate.
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

mmcavall has used basically the same sort of media as I. He's used leaf mold, I use potting soil. He's used coarse grit, I use pumice, perlite, and coconut coir. He's right, they do not want to dry out too much, but they do not like "wet feet". They like it hot, and bright. Though, not all day sun. Mine get a bit of sun in the mornings.
cacti and cacti not

My dorstenias seem to be going through transplantation shock. For my foetida, I removed dead and dying leaves and the top of the stem has a brownish color. Will it survive? Some sap came out when I removed those leaves.
cacti and cacti not

Although the tip of the stem is brown, it is not mushy.
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

I use a mixture of pumice and regular potting soil for my Dorstenia foetida/crispa. Something like 60% regular soil and 40% pumice. They do not like being left dry for too long and you can tell they badly need water when the leaves start to go reddish. The sap is normal. I don't removed the dead leaves in mine, I just wait for them to fall on their own. My Dorstenias are exposed to direct sunlight from noon till sundown. And they get soaked when it rains (in fact, it's been raining heavily for the past days). I've been growing them this way for half a year already and they love it.
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

Whatever works. Dorstenias are a tough plant. And can grow well in all sorts of conditions.
cacti and cacti not

Thanks for the help.