Please Help, Dying plant

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
euphorbia_magic

Please Help, Dying plant

Post by euphorbia_magic »

Hi all,

I really need some help, I got this cactus and apparently he does well indoors and rarely needs watering. I haven't been able to identify what type he is but I have just been following instructions from the woman that sold it to me however he isn't doing so well at all and I'm nervous to loose him.

He is very special gift and I would appreciate all the advise I can get!

Much appreciated,

Nina
Attachments
IMG_5260.JPG
IMG_5260.JPG (120.56 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
esp_imaging

Re: Please Help, Dying plant

Post by esp_imaging »

It's had too little water.
Most likely, it either (a) been underwatered or (b) it has been severely overwatered, so all the roots have died, and it can't then absorb water.

If the compost is dry (feel it with your finger tips a few cm below the surface) then water it thoroughly, so water comes out of the drain holes (you do have drain holes?) in the container.
Indoor plants can be in a very hot dry environment, and containers can dry out really quickly, far quicker than a plant in nature planted in the ground would. So "rarely needs watering" is not especially helpful advice. Compared to many house plants, this may be true, but it may still need watering every few days in hot conditions.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
euphorbia_magic

Post by euphorbia_magic »

Hello, I don't have any drain holes and ok then it's dried up in that case. Can it still be saved or completely dead?

Also what kind of plant is it ?

Thank you!!!
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

It's Euphorbia milii, "Crown of Thorns". Yes, it is still okay. Water it good. So the soil is moist. Then let it dry out before watering again. Use a pencil as a watering meter. Stick the pointed end of the pencil down in the soil. Let it sit for a minute. Pull it out. If the shaved part is wet at all, do not water it. Try again in a day or two. When shaved end of pencil is coming out dry, then water it well. Then, start all over. Only water this plant when the pencil comes out dry. If wet at all, wait until it comes out dry before watering again. Use that guide for most of your cactus and succulent plants. Having stones on top of your soil will make it dry out slower than if it was bare soil.