How to make my echeveria healthy?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
msniepes

How to make my echeveria healthy?

Post by msniepes »

Hi. I am still new to cactus and other succulent care and struggling how to make things right. I recently identified this as echeveria. However, I am not sure whether it needs direct sunlight or how frequently it should be watered. If you can give me tips and guidelines, it will be very helpful. Thank you!
Attachments
20170812_105647.jpg
20170812_105647.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
greenknight

Re: How to make my echeveria healthy?

Post by greenknight »

Here's a good article on the subject - http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/996/

Despite what he thinks, many do well with them indoors - in colder climates, you must take them indoors in the winter.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

msniepes wrote:Hi. I am still new to cactus and other succulent care and struggling how to make things right. I recently identified this as echeveria. However, I am not sure whether it needs direct sunlight or how frequently it should be watered. If you can give me tips and guidelines, it will be very helpful. Thank you!
Looks like an echeveria secunda/glauca to me. Iny experience, they are pretty hardy here in mediterannean weather if kept out of the winter rain.
Yours doesn't look too unhelathy to me. But i'd check if the pot has a drainage hole at the bottom.
They are pretty fast growers. They grow vertically up the stem (unlike other almost stemless echeverias) which explains the dead leaves.
I attached a picture of mine. All of it is only one plant. As you can see it offsets like crazy. I keep it in morning sun and water every week to 10 days. But it's in clay soil so watering habits are different.
In the second picture you can see how the lower leaves are dead just like yours but the plant is thriving.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
msniepes

Post by msniepes »

Thank you elieestephane. This is very helpful. I will soon be using another soil mix with perlite. Is it still OK to water it every week or should I make it more frequent?
:study:
msniepes

Post by msniepes »

Thank you, Spence. This is a very good read.
:study:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

msniepes wrote:Thank you elieestephane. This is very helpful. I will soon be using another soil mix with perlite. Is it still OK to water it every week or should I make it more frequent?
As a general rule, you should water when the soil is completely dry. That can take from 2 to 10 days. So you should water accordingly. And make sure the water doesnt not collect in the pot or a tray.
You should remove dead leaves too since parasites love them.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: