Rooting stapeliads and stapeliads cuttings

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
cwhatson1414

Rooting stapeliads and stapeliads cuttings

Post by cwhatson1414 »

I had a lot of luck with this group of plants until I moved and my conditions changed. At this point I'm trying to root a number of cuttings and reestablish plants that have suffered some damage. I have most of these in my growing are, which is a coldframe in my yard. They get sun until about 1230, and then bright filtered light for the rest of the day. Temps are warm to hot. Some are rooting well, others not as much. Are my conditions suitable for rooting these plants? More specifically, do they need more protection from light and heat until they root?
williamsii823

Re: Rooting stapeliads and stapeliads cuttings

Post by williamsii823 »

Stapeliads are some of the easiest to root! I've had pieces break off accidently, and root under my benches without my knowing it. The question is, why are the ones not rooting, not rooting? If they broke off, make sure that the break has healed over before putting in contact with soil. If they've rotted, make sure you've removed all the rotting material. If you have several pieces, try laying some on top of soil, and others push down a bit into soil. Don't let them get too wet. The soil can be "dry-moist", meaning more dry than wet, with only a bit clinging to a finger pushed against the soil. Hard to explain, but certainly not wet. As for light, bright indirect light works best for me. Until they have roots, then I increase light, and water, to feed them enough for good photosynthesis. Often, folks take too much care of rooting succulents which leads to disaster.