Help with long succulents, dropping leaves near bottom (see pic)

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
plantgroweat

Help with long succulents, dropping leaves near bottom (see pic)

Post by plantgroweat »

Hi everyone! I've had these five succulents for a few years, never really knowing what they were or whether they had different care needs. For a while they seemed to be doing fine, but I moved into a new place about nin months ago and a few of them seem to be getting pretty long (the three closest to the window). They are still growing new leaves at the top, but the bottom leaves shriveled up and dropped. I've read that this might be due to needing more sunlight (though the windowsill they are on gets a lot of sun!), and that they might need cutting.

I've never cut a succulent before and am afraid of doing it incorrectly, so any advice there also greatly appreciated. Any and all other comments to help me get these guys back in shape are also welcome--thank you so much!
Attachments
home-design.jpg
home-design.jpg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
teo

Re: Help with long succulents, dropping leaves near bottom (see pic)

Post by teo »

it looks like a Senecio crassissimus (vertical leaf senecio)
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

I see nothing wrong ,it's normal for plants to lose old leaves, it's just aging.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed, they get leggy with age - the stress of adapting to a new location might have sped up the process a little, but it would have happened anyway.

Cutting them is the fix for this, yes, and it's very simple. See - https://pieceofeden.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ation.html (scroll down past the part about leaf cuttings - though you could make some of those, too!)

The Senecio should be treated similarly, just stick the stem into the soil after the healing period, and give it even less water - that species needs very little.
Spence :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Judging by the shadows outside, it's going to be several hours before they get any sun. if you move the plants to the far right of the window they will get more sun than where they are on the left.
I'm guessing that where they are they only actually get a few hours of sun per day at most, in the (late?) afternoon?
Unless they are actually in the sun, plants on window sills get far less light than those outside.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

The second one from the window is echeveria perle von nurnberg. You can cut the head and the bottom parr will sprout many new rosettes.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: