Should they stay or should they go?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
manmtn7

Should they stay or should they go?

Post by manmtn7 »

Ive been having a lot of success germinating seeds with the ziploc method. My only question is, once they germinate, what do i do with them? Do i leave them in the bag for a while longer or take them out. If i do take them out, should i keep them indoors for a while?
Carlsbad, New Mexico
greenknight

Re: Should they stay or should they go?

Post by greenknight »

Depends on what you're growing. Most cacti benefit from the high humidity for months, or even a couple years for very slow growers - but Opuntias are much tougher, don't need a lot of babying. Lithops will grow happily in the bag for months, but won't produce true leaves and cast off their seed leaves until they dry out between waterings. Other Mesembs should come out of the bag as soon as germination is adequate, lest they develop[ elongated stems. Other succulents you should research individually. Keep them indoors for a while.
Spence :mrgreen:
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I might hijack this one.

I am just getting back into growing cacti from seed after a long hiatus. I am using the baggie method, and this time, experimenting with a sterlized soil of coir and calcined clay bits. Since there are no nutrients, I was wondering, when do seedlings first need fertilizer? Should I mist the soil with liquid plant food?
7george

Post by 7george »

Coir should contain or emit some nutrients. Also seedlings are able to survive first few months even in mineral substrate without adding nutrients from outside. It depends how quick they grow but better take them out and change the soil after 3 - 6 months of confinement. Here I mean common ball shaped cacti, other succulents or fast growing columnars may need a different care.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, they can grow a surprisingly long time on just the nutrients stored in the seed. Misting with a very weak solution of fertilizer would work.
Spence :mrgreen:
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Great! Thanks.