What do I do with it

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Geo99

What do I do with it

Post by Geo99 »

About three months ago, I was given this succulent. It's growth had been very sporadic in it's old home because it hadn't been getting enough light due to where it was and also probably because of how little light we get in the north of Scotland throughout winter, and also kids kept touching it, making all it's nice coating come off

The top growth now looks fairly good, however the bottom of it is very here there and everywhere and the leaves are all different sizes.

I'm too scared to try propagate it, I've not been very successful with propagation in the past, only with my more recent attempts have I gotten any roots (which you can actually see in the background there). I don't know what else to do besides leave it.

It just doesn't look very happy with it's odd leaves

Hello! I'm 19 and from the north coast of Scotland, I absolutely adore succulents, and plants in general! I don't know what I'm doing most of the time, but at least I'm having fun!
greenknight

Re: What do I do with it

Post by greenknight »

It's an Echeveria - and you already have a good understanding of its problems.

You can cut off the top and grow it as a cutting, the old stem will sprout new shoots. When those are large enough they can also become cuttings - you can leave one to grow, so you'll still have the original plant. When you make a cutting from the top you'll need to strip the lower leaves from it, root these as leaf cuttings. Even if most of the cuttings fail to root, you could still end up with more than you know what to do with. See - http://worldofsucculents.com/propagate- ... ucculents/
and - https://pieceofeden.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ation.html

To keep them from making weak, stretched-out growth over winter, they should be allowed to go dormant then - reduce watering to just enough to keep them from shrivelling, and don't fertilize. If you can keep them rather cool then that also helps - their natural habitat is at high elevations in Mexico, they don't mind cool conditions. They can even survive light frost, though it's best to keep them above freezing.

Have confidence, you're doing very well with it.
Spence :mrgreen: