Worried about my titanopsis

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
brooklynbridge24

Worried about my titanopsis

Post by brooklynbridge24 »

I've been keeping an eye on this titanopsis for a while now and I'm worried its getting worse. It's leaves have started to go soft and drop off. It had an infestation of scale but most of it is gone now but it still doesn't seem to be getting better. I know it's not from rot because I thought it is dormant until the weather cools down so haven't been watering. It's roots are dry and shriveled so should I have started watering by now? Or is it all from just the scale? Or am I just being a total worry wart and it will be fine?
Attachments
2017-03-31 15.25.42.jpg
2017-03-31 15.25.42.jpg (192.87 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
2017-03-31 15.25.09.jpg
2017-03-31 15.25.09.jpg (153.35 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
adetheproducer

Re: Worried about my titanopsis

Post by adetheproducer »

Try a looser soil mix. I grow mine in pure mineral so no organics to attract fungi or hold moisture for too long they seem to enjoy a bit of a struggle with finding nutrients the roots get much bigger which makes for a stronger plant.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed. I researched Titanopsis before I started them from seed, in photos and videos of the transplanting process I was struck by what large root systems they had for such little plants. That root system is pathetic. For Mesembs in general, a mix with little organic matter is best.
Spence :mrgreen:
Astro

Post by Astro »

Looks like you may have root mealies (white patches on/around the roots). Wash the roots in a soapy solution and use an insecticide on the roots and bottom of the plant (contact? not sure how useful a systemic is when the plant's not growing). You may have to repeat this treatment more than once to get rid of the mealies, they're tenacious. Make sure to keep the infected plant quarantined until you're sure the mealies are gone.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I thought the white specks were part of the potting mix, but Astro may have something there - it would explain a lot. Systemics won't be effective if the plant isn't taking up much water, as is the case here.
Spence :mrgreen: