Aloe Vera plants going downhill.

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
BlackWolf77

Aloe Vera plants going downhill.

Post by BlackWolf77 »

I had these aloe's for about 8 months now and about 2-3 months ago I started noticing that the tips were growing brown and now they have also started to shrink in size and are becoming very thin. They were originally together but I seperated about a month ago re=potted them into clay pots, they have always had succulent soil, I have watered them twice In the last month they have always had light maybe not direct but I have moved them to under a window and still no signs of improvement , It is -4 here and I tried keeping them warm but maybe I have'nt done a good enough job? how do I fix that?
Attachments
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG (15.59 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG (14.91 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
IMG_1645.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG (14.3 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
esp_imaging

Re: Aloe Vera plants going downhill.

Post by esp_imaging »

They are shrinking out because they are dry. They don't actually look unhealthy (although leaf tips going black is a bit unsightly).

It's normal in winter to give very little water, and the plants shrivel a bit. If it's well over freezing, you can water them more. If it's warm but not very bright, you don;t want to water too much of they will grow but become etiolated (stretched, basically).
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

They want lots of light too, probably as much window light as possible. If you have very hot sunny summers, maybe not quite so much then .
Based in the UK
BlackWolf77

Post by BlackWolf77 »

Thank you for the advice it really helped, but sadly my little aloe Vera "the thinner smaller one in the pics" is wilting the leaves have dropped down, my other one however seems to be alright. I don't know what's wrong help please!
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Sounds like two possibilities - either it's getting dry (is it in a very warm room, for example?), or the roots have died so it can't take up water even if it is watered.
If the roots have died, some warmth and a very slightly damp compost should allow them to regrow.
A wet, waterlogged compost is bad news.
As per one of your previous posts, the compost would be better with more grit etc in it so it drains faster. With the correct watering regime, your current mix should be fine, but will be less tolerant of overwatering than a more porous mix.
Based in the UK
BlackWolf77

Post by BlackWolf77 »

My room is 75 degrees I have tried watering and it didn't look any better so I have stopped I'm afraid that maybe it's roots are rotten but saying that the bigger one,it's leggy leafs are turning brownish yellow and I have to keep trimming them both.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

75deg is warm enough they will shrivel if their roots are dead.
Take them out of the pots and check the roots - are they healthy (firm and white or yellow -tipped), or brown, shrivelled or rotting?
Is the compost drying out between waterings?
A better drained compost (maybe 50% what you are using with 50% added grit) would be better.
Based in the UK
BlackWolf77

Post by BlackWolf77 »

Yea sorry about that I typed the wrong thing it's not 75 degrees it's 65 that would be way to hot for even me.
BlackWolf77

Post by BlackWolf77 »

esp_imaging wrote:75deg is warm enough they will shrivel if their roots are dead.
Take them out of the pots and check the roots - are they healthy (firm and white or yellow -tipped), or brown, shrivelled or rotting?
Is the compost drying out between waterings?
A better drained compost (maybe 50% what you are using with 50% added grit) would be better.

So I took them out of there pots cleaned them off removed the dirt etc.. I found this ( pics ) are they savable and if so how do I save them ? I am currently leaving them out roots exposed. please let me know.
Attachments
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG (18.21 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG (20.01 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG (17.61 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG (19.2 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG (17.74 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

The compost looks bone dry. Is that correct? If so, how much have you been watering them? Just a drop? It's best to water them thoroughly, make sure excess is drained away, then let them dry out completely.

There looks to be a reasonable amount of healthy root on the larger plant, and a small healthy root on the small plant. So they are basically OK. You can remove the dead, dried up bits of root, but it's probably not necessary. .
If your temperatureas are (say) 55-70deg f or higher, put them back in the pots and give them a decent watering, so the compost is nicely damp all the way through. Then leave them in peace for a few weeks! Over (say) a month they should start to grow more roots, take up water and fill out.
Based in the UK
BlackWolf77

Post by BlackWolf77 »

It's 65f in my room, I will definitely do that. What about the spots on the leaves?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The spots look like old scars, unless they spread don't worry about them.

I agree with esp_imaging - the roots look ok, they should do fine.
Spence :mrgreen: