Help Growing Succulent

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
greenknight

Re: Help Growing Succulent

Post by greenknight »

It's growing offsets, which means it's doing fine. It's also a clue to the ID, clearly it's not one of the solitary growers.

You can see why I use small pots, the root systems are really small. What you're doing is working, though, no real need to change it. At the rate it's producing offsets it should fill that pot in 2 or 3 years.
Spence :mrgreen:
Rotten Seagull

Post by Rotten Seagull »

Ok. It has had the same offshoot for a long time now, though. The offshoot hasn't grown that much.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

In the photo of it out of the pot, I see a couple more offsets beginning to grow on the side opposite that first one - that's what I was referring to. It's taking a while to get going, but it is starting to.

I should explain better about the root systems of these plants. While they don't have a lot of fibrous roots - the ones which take up water - they also produce thick, succulent storage roots, which yours doesn't have yet. When I propagate mine, I wait until offsets are old enough to have developed these storage roots before I separate them - with those to draw on they establish pretty fast. Looks like you got a young offset that didn't have those yet, so it's taking longer.

My advice is to just leave it undisturbed for a few months and continue to water it lightly. Here's a site which shows what I'm talking about (and gives the same advice :D ) - http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions ... -haworthia

Mine have never produced roots nearly as large as the Haworthia truncata 'Omori' shown on that page, that's amazing!
Rotten Seagull

Post by Rotten Seagull »

Ok. Thanks for explaining, everything makes more sense now.

I will continue to water it once per week. I'll update this thread if something new happens or if I have any more questions.

Thanks again :D
Rotten Seagull

Post by Rotten Seagull »

I'm updating this thread just to show you how the plant is doing so far. It has grown several offshoots, which means that the once a week watering is working just fine.

I'll update this thread again in the future.

Thanks again for the advice :)
Attachments
file-662F8198-FC7E-424C-906E-E478571888F6-8931-000005DE067DFC40.png
file-662F8198-FC7E-424C-906E-E478571888F6-8931-000005DE067DFC40.png (401.19 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looking good! :thumbup: Glad to see it, thanks for the update.
Rotten Seagull

Post by Rotten Seagull »

Posting a little update. Here's what the plant looks like right now. It's been growing very well.
Attachments
IMG_1719_2.jpg
IMG_1719_2.jpg (108.39 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
Rotten Seagull

Post by Rotten Seagull »

So unfortunately the plant was injured. Several of the leaves are droopy, and many are limp and deflated.

Is this something I have to worry about? Or will it recover if I continue watering the plant once per week?
Attachments
plant.jpg
plant.jpg (74.67 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It should recover. What happened to it?
Rotten Seagull

Post by Rotten Seagull »

I was moving into a new apartment and in the chaos I mashed a glove on top of it.

Resulted in a lot of leaves coming off, and a lot more getting broken/folded over.

How long usually does it take for the plant to recover?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I've never smashed one. It should go right on growing, though. I suggest you remove the wrecked leaves.