Damaged Echeveria purpusorum leaves

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Moebius

Damaged Echeveria purpusorum leaves

Post by Moebius »

I got a mature Echeveria purpusorum plant at the supermarket today, and while I was attempting to remove the original (soggy, poorly draining, as expected) soil from the root ball with a small trowel, I accidentally punctured the skin of a few of the leaves. Are the damaged leaves now compromised, or will the wounds eventually callus over?

I don't have a picture of the wounds at the moment, but I can take one and upload it if it'll give you an idea of the extent of the damage.

Thanks in advance!
iann

Re: Damaged Echeveria purpusorum leaves

Post by iann »

Damaged leaves will usually heal, but always show the scars. Sometimes they may be dropped prematurely. Occasionally, depending on the plant, they may rot or become infected with botrytis or some such. Very occasionally this could kill the whole plant. Just keep an eye on them in case they start to do nasty things. Good thing about leaves is problems are usually isolated and as a last resort you can just take the leaf off before anything bad can spread.
--ian
Moebius

Re: Damaged Echeveria purpusorum leaves

Post by Moebius »

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the affected leaves and pluck them off if they seem to be infected.