Can I 'un-graft' a Coral Cactus plant?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Cactus-Moss

Can I 'un-graft' a Coral Cactus plant?

Post by Cactus-Moss »

Hello all! This is my first time posting anything on CactiGuide.
A friend gave me a couple big-box store cacti that were almost dead and needed a lot of love. One of them was one of those "Coral Cactus" grafts in a pot (Eurphorbia lactea grafted on top of a Euphorbia neriifolia) with glued-down aquarium rock on top of bone dry soil. I broke open the gravel and planted it in my cactus garden.
I'm happy to say that it has rebounded well, and the bottom part has sprouted several little branches with big beautiful leaves. I actually just had to prune it back so the top part can get any sunlight.
My question is, can I 'un-graft' it? I know with those 'moon cactus' grafts, the top part can not survive on its own because it lacks chlorophyll. I wonder if I can cut at the v-notch where they are joined and plant the top coral part separate from the bottom?

Thank you in advance for any help you all can pass my way!
iann

Re: Can I 'un-graft' a Coral Cactus plant?

Post by iann »

No chlorophyll, no can do. So if it is substantially green then you can de-graft it, although it might not be easy. Just a little green means you can try, but the results will be weak or very slow-growing.

If the stock is sprouting, then you should remove the branches. They are usually very vigorous species and will quickly take over and the prized colourful bit will be lost. In some cases they could literally take over your home. You could try rooting one of the branches and see what you get.
--ian
Cactus-Moss

Re: Can I 'un-graft' a Coral Cactus plant?

Post by Cactus-Moss »

Thanks for the help! I'm going to do exactly as you suggested, remove the branches and see if I can get them to root.
I just recently moved to North Florida, USA, and all of my cacti and succulents seem to thrive in the sandy soil and intense sun here.
Thanks again!