Propagation needed?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
jvasher

Propagation needed?

Post by jvasher »

Hello! I am recently new to the succulent world but I am falling deeply in love. I have had this plant for a few months now and I am unable to figure out what is happening based on google searches. Any suggestions as to what is happening? My first thought was that it needs to be propagated? But I am not sure! This plant has been doing surprisingly well otherwise.
Attachments
Succulent.jpg
Succulent.jpg (36.3 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
esp_imaging

Re: Propagation needed?

Post by esp_imaging »

It's hard to tell exactly from the photo, but it looks like the plant is sprouting a new branch from the bud on the stem where the leaf is attached, and this is also sprouting roots. There is also a bud on each leaf at its base, so a detached leaf can start a new plant. It looks like the leaf is partially detached - it's possible that a new plant is also forming on the leaf base.
This is quote common with plants from the Crassula family, like yours, but a lot less common with other types of plant.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
jvasher

Post by jvasher »

Here are some closer pictures of the section is question. What would be the next step in handling this? I want to try and save the new growth if that is what is happening :)
Attachments
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG (48.89 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG (39.81 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
iann

Post by iann »

You got yourself a leaf cutting without actually taking the leaf off the plant :) Maybe the leaf got slightly broken and decided to start out on its own. This tends to happen more when the plant is thirsty although it doesn't look it. The plant looks a bit etiolated but not too unhealthy. You can pull the leaf off and pot it up, you'll get a whole new plant. Of course then the old plant will be missing a leaf ...
--ian
jvasher

Post by jvasher »

In a sad turn of events, I took it home to re pot it and to remove the leaf for propagation and had an accident while walking into the house. I now have 6-8 leaves I am attempting to propagate and a very naked plant :(

Here's hoping she pulls through! I gave her some fertilizer and am hoping for the best!Thanks for the help! I learned a few new things :)