when to reppoting Trichodiadema densum?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
mmcavall

when to reppoting Trichodiadema densum?

Post by mmcavall »

I have a small Trichodiadema densum that is in a bad substrate. I want to change the potting mix.

Which is the right time to do that? Which season?

Now is winter here, but is just a cool weather, not really cold.

This plant is showing brand new leaves that I noticed today (a signal that the substrate is not too bad?). It would be a good or bad time to reppoting?

I also would like to know if I can use a shallow pot, or if this species requires deep pots.

Thanks in advance!
mdpillet

Re: when to reppoting Trichodiadema densum?

Post by mdpillet »

I'd wait until spring comes in Brazil, though it sounds like your Trichodiadema isn't undergoing dormancy. Pick a slightly larger pot than the one it's in.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

thanks!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's a winter-growing plant, I don't see any reason to wait. http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/TRICHO ... densum.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I treat mine as summer active plants, and they grow and flower. I guess they are foremost opportunistic growers, grow when water has been given? I don't have the sunintensity for good growth in winter, so summer will have to do. But basically you can repot almost any succulent at any time of the year, if there is a need to do so. It does not really mather (much) if they are in active growth or dormant. So if really needed, do it now.

But... why is your substrate bad? What soil do you have in use now?
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks for all replies!

I had already seen somewhere that this species is a winter grower, and, as it is winter in Brazil, I maybe could repot it now.

But the fact is that the plant is with me since Mars, when I purchased it and it came by mail with no soil and very few roots. So it has just begun to develop now and I dont think it is strong enough to suffer another drastic change. On the other hand, the substrate is very sandy, but the sand is very dusty, and I observed other plants that are not developing well with this potting mix. That's why I would like to repot it, to give the plant better growing conditions. But I'm afraid of stress the plant moreover at the wrong season (or right season, that's why I asked).

This question about winter/summer growers is very interesting and is also new to me. Here in Brazil the seasons are not so drastically different one from another, and for about 15 years I cultivated my succulents without regard to if they are winter or summer growers. But the true story is that maybe my plants have been just surviving until now. In fact, I lost several plants. Until now I was not a succulent lover and had mainly bromeliads and orchids, so I dont gave much attention to them.

Now I became more and more interested in succulents, and "discovered" that there are winter growers and summer growers, although I dont know exactly what this means in Brazil.

It is interesting to know that some winter growers can be treated as summer growers, or that they can be opportunists, thanks Aiko.

I'm trying to observe, with my plants, if they respond to winter/summer differently. The first species that I noted some accordance to the literature are my Faucarias (that bloomed at Fall, as expected for winter growers - isnt it?) and my Bowiea volubilis (which wake up from dormancy when winter came). Some Crassulaceae, reported as winter growers, are also growing and flowering now.

By this few plants I believe that in my region, with my climate, I can consider the winter as true winter (given that some plants responded to it). But I still have to observe this plants in summer.

I verified now that my climate is not to far from that of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Same weather averages at the same months of the year. The more striking difference, however, is that winter here is dry and summer wet, and there is the opposite.

Winter growers from South Africa don't like to be watered in summer. For me this is totaly weird. I'll have to resist the impluse of watering them in summer, and, to tell you the truth, I cant imagine how can a plant be happy with this, but I think I have to try, dont you?

Also I think it is artificial to keep these plants "cool and shaded" during summer, when they shall not be watered. How do they keep cool and shaded during the dry summer in their habitats, and then under full sun during the wet winter????

Well, this may deserves a new thread.

Thanks (and sorry for my English, but not wanting to verify ortography and grammar now)
iann

Post by iann »

greenknight wrote:It's a winter-growing plant, I don't see any reason to wait. http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/TRICHO ... densum.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a slight misinterpretation of what the page says. Trichodiadema is not a winter-growing plant. A good comparison would be something like Faucaria or Corpuscularia. They'll grow whenever the weather isn't too hot or too cold. That is in summer in England, but possibly winter in Brazil. Or spring and autumn, or even all year round.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about repotting now. If it isn't growing, then leave it dry until it is. If it is growing now then just leave it dry long enough for the roots to heal. Generally, any pot big enough to contain the roots is OK. In rich soil it will grow vigorously, but it may become floppy and less attractive. Very poor soils will produce an almost Bonsai plant, with very small tufts of leaves. It will eventually develop a massive root.
--ian
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Many, of not most, "winter growers" are really opportunists. I would say the fact yours is growing proves it can be a winter grower in your climate. As for not liking to be watered in summer, what that really means is that some plants go dormant in hot weather, and can't take up water - if you water when they aren't using any water, the soil will stay wet and the plant may rot. This species is said to be heat-tolerant, so I don't know how much of a factor that is. The main thing is never to water your plants just because it's hot, go by how dry the soil is.
Spence :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

thanks again for all replies!

"As for not liking to be watered in summer, what that really means is that some plants go dormant in hot weather, and can't take up water"
=> good point, I understood now

"never to water your plants just because it's hot, go by how dry the soil is"
=> also a good thing to have in mind