Help save my succulent!

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
xtina26

Help save my succulent!

Post by xtina26 »

Hello! I recently got a couple of succulents, and one has really been taking a turn for the worst. Two leaves have died so far. The other leaves are not as pink as they were before and just look ill to me. Can anyone help me? I have this in indirect sunlight and have been watering ~ 1 time/week. Thank you!!
Attachments
IMG_0093 (1).JPG
IMG_0093 (1).JPG (47.71 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
esp_imaging

Re: Help save my succulent!

Post by esp_imaging »

It looks like you plant (or maybe plants) are old mature leaves which have been planted as cuttings, and now have young plants growing from their bases.
This is a common way of propagating Echeverias, Crassulas, Graptopetalums and related types of succulent.

It's difficult to know the effect of watering once per week. It could be far too much, or far too little!
Watering depends on how much water you provide, how hot the plant's location is, the ventilation, the type of compost and if the container has holes in the bottom.

Pots should have drainage holes, with lots of grit etc mixed in to the compost to allow rapid draining of extra water. Water so it completely wets all of the compost, but then remove and excess water that drains thorugh the pot, so it can completely dry out and isn't standing with "wet feet".

The green new leaves look fairly healthy as though they are growing OK - although maybe they are a bit too green as though it's not getting enough light.
Old leaves will gradually die anyway, but if a few are dying in quick succession it may indicate a problem of either too much or too little water - too much water and the plant's roots will rot and it won't take up water, and it will lose leaves, starting with the oldest. Too dry, and the older leaves may be lost, although hit will normally perk up well if watered.

So, if it's bone dry, give it a good watering. If it's in soggy compost and doesn't dry out, change the compost and/or put it in a pot with drain holes as required. Let it dry out completely then water it a little bit so the compost is just slightly damp. New roots will probably grow quite soon and it should recover fine.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
xtina26

Post by xtina26 »

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Do you think I should remove the half leaf on the left, or keep it for the roots? That one fell off about a week ago.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I would go ahead and remove that stub of a leaf. It doesn't look good, and the plant won't miss it at this point.
Spence :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I wouldn't bother removing the leaf (there's no right or wrong answer here!).
The plant will grow quite quickly once it gets going, so you soon won't notice the old leaf anyway.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

esp_imaging wrote:I wouldn't bother removing the leaf (there's no right or wrong answer here!).
The plant will grow quite quickly once it gets going, so you soon won't notice the old leaf anyway.
True - but if it's gone, there's no chance it will rot.
Spence :mrgreen: