Cacti and succulents flowering info

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
J-M

Cacti and succulents flowering info

Post by J-M »

Hello,

The only information I can find about flowering for each species is aproximately when the flowering occurs.

Is there a precise, in-depth source (forum, book, etc) when it comes to cacti and succulents needs to encourage flowering. I am aware that species, even in the same genus, will not have the exact same needs. Is it possible to find somewhere general guidelines for each genus or a kind of classification of the needs by species.

Example : Genus ''X'' will benefit from cold winter temps and this and that.
''Y'' needs some darkness during winter, etc.

Any help will be really apreciated !
Thanks
iann

Re: Cacti and succulents flowering info

Post by iann »

The short answer is no :( Out of 1,500 (depending who you ask) cactus species and thousands of other succulents, it would be a big ask. Even then there are huge variations depending on your growing conditions.
--ian
Aiko

Re: Cacti and succulents flowering info

Post by Aiko »

iann wrote:Even then there are huge variations depending on your growing conditions.
I would think this is a big variable with a lot of influence.

But Specks has a table online that could help as an indication of when to water the mentioned plants, what light levels they like (or tolerate) and what minimum temperature the plants should be kept during winter: https://www.specks-exotica.com/en/cultivation_data.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But this is for mainly a big selection of certain African succulents, not cacti. Nothing to stick close to it (which you should never really do), but you should see as a guide, to use along with your common sense and knowledge of your local growing conditions.