Etiolated? should I propagate?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
cecilseed

Etiolated? should I propagate?

Post by cecilseed »

I ordered this from an assortment pack online, it came in with damaged tips of leaves from frost or dehydration. It's grown a pup that's rosette shaped, is this plant supposed to be rosettes and it's etiolated or does it just grow like this? Should I propagate the pup?
Thanks!
Attachments
pupping.gif
pupping.gif (114.77 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
greenknight

Re: Etiolated? should I propagate?

Post by greenknight »

Anacampseros rufescens. That's the way it grows, it's a mat-forming plant. The leaves start out green, turn more or less purple in bright light, the result is a multi-colored plant. Judging by how pale some of the leaves are, I think it's the named variety "Sunrise". Very tough plant - don't worry, it'll be fine. The only things that can kill them are cold or over-watering.

You can propagate it if you want more of them, but there's no serious problem with it.
Spence :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Found some sites list "Sunrise" as a variegated for of Anacampseros telephiastrum , not rufescens. Makes little difference, they're nearly identical. Good pictures that show just haw variable it is here - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/198646/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

Mat-forming is a generous term for a trailing floppy plant. At its best in constant strong light and not too much rich soil, it can be almost compact, but you'll struggle to manage that in cultivation. Just enjoy it, let it grow and flower, then root down pieces that get too long.
--ian