Lithops Help! - New Sprouts

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
MatCauthon

Lithops Help! - New Sprouts

Post by MatCauthon »

Hello,

I am new to lithops in growing or raising already grown. I've raised lots of succulents bought young and had them flourish quite well, though living in Southern California can make it relatively easy!

So, what I am wondering is how the ones I have sprouted are doing and if they're possibly getting too much wter or not enough light.
The varieties here are gibbaeum comptonii(image with single sprout), and karoo rose(multiples).
They're seem to be growing quite tall and not thicker yet, and I know that can happen if they're not getting enough light. I was thinking it might be a good idea to gently put them into tiny holes in the dirt/sand so as to have only the top breaking the surface.

I started germination on Jan 30th and saw some sprouting up on Feb 4th. I was watering pretty heavily then(spraying 3-4x/day), and now about doing 2-3x/day based on the moisture of the top layer of sand.
They're in one of those 8"-20" little seed sprouting hot houses in a western-facing window that startsgetting full sun around the last couple hours of sunlight this time of year, but the window does have a mesh/tulle type curtain that's always there and larger ones that are opened every morning.
So, any advice? what should I change or fix? What about relocating them into smaller terracotta pots covered or not? How old should they be when I really start cutting back on the watering? Any suggestion on whether or not I should add Captan to the watering? How much per oz?
Sorry for the inundation of questions. I've tried to do a ton of googling and blog-reading, but I don't seem to be able to find a comprenehsive source for a lot of this stuff!

Thanks in advance,
Matt

p.s. Anyone know anything about a supposed blue wichford succulent? I ordered those and sprouted them as well, but I think they're a bs plant as the seeds look nothing like other succulent seeds and the sprouts appear as alfalfa sprouts. Also, there's literally no information on the internet about them apparently except for the same image everywhere. I ordered the from Amazon(red flag, I guess), and they're not even available anymore haha.

Sorry images are upside down, I'm having internet trouble and can't take these down and fix and repost!
Attachments
IMG_4974.JPG
IMG_4974.JPG (81.76 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
IMG_4975.JPG
IMG_4975.JPG (66.2 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
IMG_4976.JPG
IMG_4976.JPG (86.77 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
greenknight

Re: Lithops Help! - New Sprouts

Post by greenknight »

They need more light - if you can't provide more sunlight, supplement with artificial light. Don't try repotting them at this size, it would probably kill them.
Spence :mrgreen:
MatCauthon

Post by MatCauthon »

Thanks for the reply! So, I'm down to one now. I'll definitely have to set them up for more sun next batch.
iann

Post by iann »

Gibbaeum comptonii? Really? It is a real plant but it isn't exactly common. I've a pretty good idea what "Karoo Rose" should be. The seedlings don't look a lot like it, but maybe just because they are etiolated. Neither are actually Lithops, btw.

So I think you drowned them. Also too little light. Healthy sprouts would be dark green and very short, even flat to the soil. You don't have to grow them in the sun, but they need reasonably bright light. They will do fine in very slightly moist soil. I keep mine covered for a few weeks so they humidity is high and the soil stays slightly moist without me having to mess too much. Also cool at night or they will get stressed, and etiolate, or maybe not germinate at all. The Gibbaeum in particular is a winter grower. Healthy mesemb seedlings should look something like this.
aiaisensis1.jpg
aiaisensis1.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
I've never heard of any succulent remotely like "blue wichford". Sound like you need to shop somewhere that doesn't make up names just to get a sale ;)
--ian