Burro's tail/sedum morganianum HELP

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
ekcayen

Burro's tail/sedum morganianum HELP

Post by ekcayen »

Hello
I am extremely concerned about my Burro's tail. I have not been taking care of him properly. I do not know how often to water and what else he needs. I have attached photos. He looks shrunken and the ends of his leaves are shriveled in some places. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? How often to water? How to treat? How to take care of? Is he sick?! He seems to be leaning a lot.
Please let me know.
Thank you very very much!
Attachments
IMG_6004.JPG
IMG_6004.JPG (66.2 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
IMG_6005.JPG
IMG_6005.JPG (59.88 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
esp_imaging

Re: Burro's tail/sedum morganianum HELP

Post by esp_imaging »

It looks healthy enough.
Grown indoors it will want a lot of light - like a windowsill with several hours of direct sunlight per day.
Like other succulents, it is quite tolerant of going without water. It may shrivel a little bit if it's been dry for a while, but will recover within a day or 2 if given some water. If it's grown in a warm room, watering once the soil has been completely dry for several days will probably be safe. If it's in a cool place (if completely dry at the roots it will be happy at temperatures near freezing), water quite infrequently in winter. More people will kill this plant by overwatering it than by underwatering, so if in doubt, and especially if the compost is stil damp, don't water.
This is a trailing, hanging plant, so the stems will naturally grow along the soil and drape downwards, it won't ever make much upright growth.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
ekcayen

Post by ekcayen »

Thank you so much! Would you say 2x a month is good? I have trouble telling whether soil is still damp at roots.
iann

Post by iann »

ekcayen wrote:Thank you so much! Would you say 2x a month is good? I have trouble telling whether soil is still damp at roots.
You'll have to learn ;) Nobody here can tell you how often you need to water in your climate, in your growing conditions, with your soil mix. Doubly so not even knowing which hemisphere you're in , let alone which country.

In winter it should be kept mostly dry unless you are in a particularly hot and dry climate. In summer, it can be watered regularly, but don't leave it for long periods in wet soil. Allow it to dry out before watering again. It will take some effort to underwater, even more to cause harm from insufficient water.
--ian