Crassula Tetragona help

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
KremlinPaperson

Crassula Tetragona help

Post by KremlinPaperson »

I believe I have identified this as a crassula tetragona, but I could be wrong. I've had it about 6 months in sunny northern Arizona where it has been thriving on my balcony. It was doing great until about two nights ago when the temperature dropped to the mid-teens (fahrenheit) overnight and I didn't bring it in. It's been drooping more and more ever since, and the leaves have started shriveling and falling off from the base up. (I put the white string around it to help support it. Without it, it was completely drooping over the edges of the pot and breaking the stems of the plant.) Any recommendations? Thank you so much in advance!
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (50 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (94.35 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (45.57 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
esp_imaging

Re: Crassula Tetragona help

Post by esp_imaging »

My recommendation would be to make sure it doesn't get as cold again and hope for the best!

In the short term, I don't think there is much to do apart from pick up the leaves as they fall off.

Time will tell what the damage is. It may just be that the plant protests a bit and sheds some leaves and then perks up again, or there may be more serious damage.
If the roots or main stems have died, then you will need to restart from cuttings from the shoot tips, or even leaf cuttings. Alternatively, branches may have died but below ground it's OK.

Give it normal winter treatment (cool but not freezing), perhaps with light watering if you have a spell of warmer weahter, and see how it's looking in a few weeks. I'd resist any temptation to water it in the short term, drooping will likely be a reaction to the cold and not a sign of lack of water.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
KremlinPaperson

Post by KremlinPaperson »

Thank you! I'm keeping it inside for the rest of winter now. It's still dropping below freezing at night.

I'll follow your advice and see how it looks in time. Thanks again!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If the root ball froze completely, the roots may have been killed - roots are the least frost-tolerant part of a plant. You could still have viable cutting material even in that case. Just havew to wait and see how much damage there is.
Spence :mrgreen: