Echeveria Afterglow Problems? Newbie Planter

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
richs2k6

Echeveria Afterglow Problems? Newbie Planter

Post by richs2k6 »

Trying to go drought tolerant at the hotel I work at so I started an area with succulents. I planted two Kalanchoe thyrsiflora (version that grows vertical), a euphorbia milii and four echeveria afterglows. The Kalanchoe seems fine though one of them seems to be burning a tad on the lower leaves. The milii is doing great and is now flowering but the echeveria's do not look very good. Here are the facts...

1. Location is in Southern California near Anaheim (Garden Grove).
2. Area gets full sun the majority of the day; morning, noon and afternoon.
3. Was told plants were large enough to be in full sun so we didn't acclimate them at all.

Watering Schedule...

First Two Weeks - For the first week we left the regular sprinklers on. I figured we were on a reduced watering schedule (3 days a week) so it would be fine.

Second Week
We converted the sprinkler heads to drip lines and ran them to each plant. I think we should have done this in the beginning because I know they don't like overhead water and should be watered at the base. They aren't actual drip heads but more of a tri-spray but not very much comes out, maybe 5 streams that go 3-4 inches out (http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-CNV182B ... ersion+kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The sprinklers should only run about 8 minutes. We also got rid of the mulch that was there from the previous bed, placed some weed barrier down and covered it with decomposed granite (all for looks, wanted the desert theme).

Third Week
I'm guessing around the 3rd week I took a friends suggestion and turned the drip heads completely off and they went a couple weeks without any water (all of the plants). I sent the same attached pic to the store that I bought them from and he said they looked fine. They definitely don't look as good when I bought them. We lost some of the bottom leaves which I heard is natural but even the ones above them don't look that great and some of the tips are getting dry and crispy. Yesterday I gave them a bit of water since it hasn't rained at all since I turned off the drip heads. Having trouble getting the watering schedule down. Thought we could just plop them down and they'd be fine. Were they watered too much in the beginning? Not enough lately? I don't know! Any help would be appreciated. I want to do this type of theme throughout the property and want to learn more before I go any further.
PhotoGrid_1448326465384 (1).jpg
PhotoGrid_1448326465384 (1).jpg (92.86 KiB) Viewed 989 times
20151123_164727.jpg
20151123_164727.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 989 times
20151123_164733.jpg
20151123_164733.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 989 times
greenknight

Re: Echeveria Afterglow Problems? Newbie Planter

Post by greenknight »

They look healthy enough, but I think they would look better if they had some shade in the heat of the afternoon. Perhaps a taller plant next to them.
Spence :mrgreen: