lithop help please--fulviceps 'aurea' and 'Fullergreen'

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tomo

lithop help please--fulviceps 'aurea' and 'Fullergreen'

Post by tomo »

lithop beginner here--I have a L. fulviceps 'aurea' and L. julii ssp. fulleri v. fulleri 'Fullergreen' that are both starting to split open...what should I do about watering? (I haven't watered them in weeks, maybe even over a month, I don't know when to water/not water re: opening, blooming, etc.) any help would be much appreciated! :D
iann

Re: lithop help please--fulviceps 'aurea' and 'Fullergreen'

Post by iann »

Split where? If the two leaves are starting to separate in the middle then it is normal. Might be a flower, might be the start of the next pair of leaves.

If the leaves are bursting open on the sides or across the top not in the middle, then it is too much water.

Either way, they don't need watering now, not even in Florida. Maybe once or twice over winter in a warm climate, but certainly not very often.
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks for the reply! Yes, they're both starting to separate in the middle--I'm hoping for flowers! :D But I wasn't sure if there was some rule of thumb re: don't water 'til after they've bloomed? And if they're a new pair of leaves, I'm not supposed to water until they turn into a papery shell, is that correct? Any way, good to know I don't need to water them anytime soon.
iann

Post by iann »

It is late for buds, early for new leaves, so who knows. I could probably tell from a photo, the appearance is slightly different. It will be obvious in a few weeks.

You can water if it is flowers, although once they put out a decent-sized bud you'd have to treat them pretty harshly to stop them flowering. I haven't watered any of my Lithops for many weeks, certainly not this month and probably not since early October, but I have masses of flowers. If it is leaves then they don't really need water until the old leaves have gone, or at least very much on the way and the new leaves are very thirsty.
--ian